Service Disconnect Labeling (Meter Pak w/main disconnect)

JMBSD

Occupation
GC & C10
Got into a disagreement on a service install.

I'm working on a multifamily project. Replacing the existing service with a Square D EZ Meter Pak. We're using an EZM1400CBU as the main circuit breaker unit and an EZM11325 as the branch unit to run feeders to the 3 dwellings.

Seems clear to me that the single 400A disconnect on the EZM1400CBU is labeled according to 230.85 (E)(1) since it is a circuit breaker and not simply a load break disconnect like a meter disconnect would be. Since it contains an OCPD and the whole unit is neutral/ground bonded it would be the service disconnect.

THEN the 3 individual disconnects on the EZM11325 that feed the separate units with 4 wire feeders would be labeled according to 110.22 since they are simple disconnecting means.

Pretty straight forward from my perspective.

Coworker disagrees and says all disconnects on the enclosure (the main and the 3 on branch unit) should be labeled according to 230.85 (E)(1) which makes no sense to me since we have a main. You would only do that if you had the branch unit with a main that was lug only and did not have a disconnect (such as EZM1400TB).

So... do I get a free lunch tomorrow?

I'm working on a multifamily project. Replacing the existing service with a Square D EZ Meter Pak. We're using an EZM1400CBU as the main circuit breaker unit and an EZM11325 as the branch unit to run feeders to the 3 dwellings.

Seems clear to me that the single 400A disconnect on the EZM1400CBU is labeled according to 230.85 (E)(1) since it is a circuit breaker and not simply a load break disconnect like a meter disconnect would be. Since it contains an OCPD and the whole unit is neutral/ground bonded it would be the service disconnect.

THEN the 3 individual disconnects on the EZM11325 that feed the separate units with 4 wire feeders would be labeled according to 110.22 since they are simple disconnecting means.

Coworker disagrees and says all disconnects on the enclosure (the main and the 3 on branch unit) should be labeled according to 230.85 (E)(1) which makes no sense to me since we have a main. You would only do that if you had the branch unit with a main that was lug only and did not have a disconnect (such as EZM1400TB).

Yes you get lunch. The 400A is the one and only service disconnect. Tell your coworker he needs to read thru the NEC definitions.

arnoldtailor

Occupation
pump maintenance

Car detailing Company

Your interpretation is correct. The main service disconnect (EZM1400CBU) should be labeled according to NEC 230.85(E)(1) because it contains an OCPD and is neutral/ground bonded, making it the service disconnect. The branch circuit disconnects (EZM11325) should be labeled according to NEC 110.22, as they are simple disconnecting means. Your coworker’s suggestion only applies if there was no main disconnect, like in the case of an EZM1400TB. Enjoy your free lunch!