Service disconnect need to be locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch shows on left side solar panel disco tapped from the line side of main service disco. On the right sketch show non solar panel install main service fused disconnect which feed downstream panelboard.

On the left solar disconnect one can switch it to off by pressing handle position then easily open the disconnect enclosure exposing line side live conductors. Same for the right side fused service disconnect and someone other than qualified person perhaps kids can be exposed to live conductors if they are installed outside attached to building outside wall.

Question to avoid above is their anything in NEC 2014 that such type of disconnect to be locked shut and one would need tool to open to them? If yes then which NEC 2014 code section? If not in NEC 2014 then anyone anyware of any such amendment to the NEC 2014?

Attachments

• 58804CBF-0F70-4D4D-B496-A0A5DB58EAFF.jpeg
    58804CBF-0F70-4D4D-B496-A0A5DB58EAFF.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 17

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Where in the NEC have you looked?

Oh sure I researched looked at 110.25 but that’s not the intent that I am looking. Also looked at 110.26(F) which says lockable enclosure considered accessible to qualified person.

What I am looking for is language in NEC 2014 when main service fuse disco enclosure should be mandatory locked and cannot be opened unless tool is used even when disconnect is off position. Please see post#1

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Well there is Art 230 Services, Enclosures, 240.30
For your tool requirement, see definition of Accessible, Readily
And see 110.27 A.
Is it allowed by NEC to lock a disconnect in the ON position?
Does the NEC allow the cover to be locked?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Well there is Art 230 Services, Enclosures, 240.30
For your tool requirement, see definition of Accessible, Readily
And see 110.27 A.
Is it allowed by NEC to lock a disconnect in the ON position?
Does the NEC allow the cover to be locked?

Read those section real confusing so not sure. One section say something and another something else. Four parts here still confusing:

First by use of tool mean not put lock but could also mean zip tie or lock nut. So I’m not sure?

Second definition of readily accessible capable of being reached quickly without requiring to action such as use of tools, to climb over however 110.27(A)(3)(4) allow it elevated, on balcony for service disco where someone can open the disco without lock or zip tie?

Third AC service disco including one PV AC service disco that is supply by line side of building service disco is already in enclosure but can be opened to expose live parts. Does 110.27 even apply?

Fourth AC service disco is outside wall building has zip tie or lock but but qualified person has tool to access the would be allowed by 110.27(A)(1)(2) or def of readily access not allow this?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... What I am looking for is language in NEC 2014 when main service fuse disco enclosure should be mandatory locked and cannot be opened unless tool is used even when disconnect is off position. Please see post#1
There is no such rule for service equipment in the NEC, even in the 2020 code. There is a new rule in the 2020 code for solar disconnects that requires that. 690.13(A).
Fusible disconnects are the only type of electrical equipment that we normally install, where you can walk up to the disconnect, open the cover, and put your fingers on energized parts. Some don't even have a door interlock that requires the switch to be off to open the cover.
I expect a rule like the one in 690.13(A) will be in the 2023 code so it applies to all disconnects of that type.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need to back up & chill.
Look at the 1st paragraph of 110.17:
110.27 Guarding of Live Parts
.......equipment operating at 50 to 1000 volts, nominal shall be guarded against accidental contact
by approved enclosures or by any of the following means:

I would think 99%+ of the plans you are reviewing involve enclosures so all the rest of 110.27 does not apply (see the word "OR").

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
There is no such rule for service equipment in the NEC, even in the 2020 code. There is a new rule in the 2020 code for solar disconnects that requires that. 690.13(A).
Fusible disconnects are the only type of electrical equipment that we normally install, where you can walk up to the disconnect, open the cover, and put your fingers on energized parts. Some don't even have a door interlock that requires the switch to be off to open the cover.
I expect a rule like the one in 690.13(A) will be in the 2023 code so it applies to all disconnects of that type.

That’s what I thought and the way NEC 2014 section 250.24(A) is written overcurrent protection need to be readily accessible one cannot put zip tie or lock nut which would require tools to get access for disconnect you mentioned under NEC 2014. Link below explains that but it was changed in NEC 2017:

Status
Not open for further replies.