service disconnect question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

is the main service disconnect suppose to disconnect all the power for a house? . I have a house with 2 panels panel A load is 182 amps (serving circuits inside the house)and panel B is 72 amps(serving outdoor and pool circuits) the service is a 400 amp meter combo, do I need a main breaker to disconnect the power for this 2 panels plus the circuits in the meter combo? or the main service disconnect is for each panel . a 200 amp disconnect for panel A and a 100 amp disconnect for panel B at the meter combo will be ok for this?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A person has to be able to stand in one place and turn off all power to a building, without having to operate more than six handles (i.e., six breaker or disconnect switch handles). So if you have two panels that collectively provide power to everything in the building, and if each has a main breaker, and if they are close to each other, then that could satisfy the requirement for a main disconnecting means.

That said, however, I do not know what is meant by, "meter combo." Is there a disconnecting means associated with it? Can you turn off power to both panels by throwing one or two switches at the meter combo? Or is your question essentially whether you have to add switches at the meter combo?

wireperson

meter combo , combination of meter and panelboard with main disconnects (meter on the left and panelboard on the right)and 8 spaces for breakers, it comes with a 200 amp main breaker from manufacturer.

Cavie

meter combo , combination of meter and panelboard with main disconnects (meter on the left and panelboard on the right)and 8 spaces for breakers, it comes with a 200 amp main breaker from manufacturer.

If you install 2 breakers for the mains than you are good to go. Some inspectors say it is not legal because someone else can add more breakers in the future that would add up to overe 6 switches If he does than you have to fight that it is not your problem.

macmikeman

And some other configurations as well, there are also ones with a meter and a single overcurrent/disconnection device, but no panelboard. The area poco has indirect influence on what the local wholesalers stock on the shelves for meter sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.