Service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchast

Occupation
Commercial Electrician Foreman
I'm currently building a 900 square foot commercial building. The original prints had my meter and building disconnect in the electrical room with my distribution panel and 2 sub panels. Now, they want a meter pedestal with the service disconnect 180 feet away from the distribution panel, outside the building.

My question is if this complies with 230.70(A)(1) as readily accessible or do I need a local disconnect in the electrical room? The 400 amp service from the meter pedestal would otherwise land directly on lugs with 2 sub feed breakers for my sub panels.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you have a separate structure fed with a feeder you need a disconnect at the building. Also if I'm reading this correctly you cannot have two feeders run to the building.

225.31 Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.
225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be utilized.

Jchast

Occupation
Commercial Electrician Foreman
Since you have a separate structure fed with a feeder you need a disconnect at the building. Also if I'm reading this correctly you cannot have two feeders run to the building.
It is one building, but the meter is 180 feet away. Single 120/208 400amp feed to the distribution panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.