service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I am not sure what you are asking?

The NEC requires a disconnecting means for a service in accordance with Part VI and in addition the service requires overcurrent protection in accordance with Part VII of Article 230.

Chris

ynot12

service disconnect

I just saw a new 600 amp service installed where they came into the building to a non fused disconnect about 7 feet from the outside wall. Then they ran about 20 feet to a 9 gang meter fitting with 100 amp breakers built in for the panel disconnects. What I'm questioning is the non fused disconnect they used. That needs to be fused, Correct?

raider1

Staff member
If the 600 amp disconnect is the service disconnecting means then yes it should be fused.

Take a look at 230.91 for the location of the overcurrent device for a service.

Chris

resistance

I just saw a new 600 amp service installed where they came into the building to a non fused disconnect about 7 feet from the outside wall. Then they ran about 20 feet to a 9 gang meter fitting with 100 amp breakers built in for the panel disconnects. What I'm questioning is the non fused disconnect they used. That needs to be fused, Correct?
I can't picture this. Can you send a picture?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In years past, it has not been unusual to see the application you describe in this area and the AHJ ruled 230.91 as allowing a non-fuse switch as long as the meter-bank/over-current devices were "immediately adjacent".
However, the low AIC ratings of non-fuse disconnects has prevented that on most installations.

cpal

were any of the meters added if the original install only had 6 it may have complied with 230.90 (A) exception # 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.