Service Entrance conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger12

I need some clarification on this one.If one was changing a panel,and it was a residential 100 amp service.What happens if you change the panel and then find out that the neutral conductor passes thru and does not actually bond to the old round meter base? I also want to know if the current code allows us to splice ungrounded conductors inside the panel.It's NEC only and I have always wanted to know for myself.Thanks for your help.Ranger :)

ranger12

Re: Service Entrance conductors

I would like to rephrase this question because i did not do a very good job at asking what I was trying to get at the first time.As far as the first part i would think that the answer would be to bond it if nothing else in the old way that they bonded those old meter bases to begin with if not just replace it with a new one.as far as the second part what i was wondering was whether it is against the code to splice service conductors that run load side of the meter base to the panel before the main breaker?I am asking these questions because i have apprentices asking me and i want to tell them for sure and not just "the way we always do it"Thanks for your help ranger

hurk27

It is not good practice to splice service conductor in a panel but I dont think there is any code to disallow it. and the resone the neutral was passed through thoses old meter bases as the lugs were only sized for one # 4 and the fact that it lessens the connections on the neutral that can be loss due to crosion. when I upgrade a service like this I change the meter. or run a new neutral all the way up to the drop. but I will never use that lug to splice a neutral as if the neutral is ever loss it can cost you or your insurance big time. also if the splice in the panel was to ever short out there would be nothing to stop the arc as the fusses on the transformer are only there to protect the wires feeding it! not to protect the wires to the house or in the panel before the main. so think about it would you want this in your house?

But with the right knowlage it can be done as far as I know.

ranger12

Thanks Hurk27 for the response,i can't help but agree with you.In this instance a customer was just shopping for prices to change a worn out fuse panel.Lucky us we got the job and inherited these problems.The bottom line was that the ahj required we repull the service conductors from the service point to the line side of this 100amp meter base.and repull the load side to the main service.Not a bad call considering.i am amazed though that he let the old meter base stay.You helped me out and i appreciate it.Knowledge is everything

Status
Not open for further replies.