Service Entrance Conduit Bonding confirming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Bonding of service conduit.. do both sides need to be bonded with either a bonding bushing or lock nut, or just one side.

I think just one (panel connector) would suffice but, the couplings and connectors between the panel and meter pan has me questioning it..

chain of events from drop to panel..

seu>meter>conn,>pipe(emt)>couple>90(emt)>conn>panel

Bonding at panel connector only?

thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
250.92(B)--

(B) Method of Bonding at the Service. Bonding jumpers
meeting the requirements of this article shall be used around
impaired connections, such as reducing washers or oversized,
concentric, or eccentric knockouts. Standard locknuts or bushings
shall not be the only means for the bonding required by
this section but shall be permitted to be installed to make a
mechanical connection of the raceway(s).
Electrical continuity at service equipment, service raceways,
and service conductor enclosures shall be ensured by one of
the following methods:
(1) Bonding equipment to the grounded service conductor
in a manner provided in 250.8
(2) Connections utilizing threaded couplings or threaded
hubs on enclosures if made up wrenchtight
(3) Threadless couplings and connectors if made up tight for
metal raceways and metal-clad cables
(4) Other listed devices, such as bonding-type locknuts, bushings,
or bushings with bonding jumpers

ritelec

OK..thank you Dennis (ole man moderator in chief !!!)

I'm going for bonding at ONE end (panel), even with multiple fittings...

(I'll bring an extra grounding bushing in case theres a separated connection point in the meter for that wire.. couldn't hurt right)

QUESTION..Is that bonding jumper to be sized as the gec ? so #4 on the 200amp. (i think I've seen #6 in the past??)
Did one a few years back and used the 4.......... right or wrong..

BTW......... I think next time I'm going to post in General... when I post here you guys make be do the work and open the book :- )

Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ok.. I'm going to say sized to 250.66 @#4cu

That's correct and like all metallic parts ahead of the service disconnect they only need to be bonded once, meaning that the service raceway needs to be bonded at only one end.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the NEC only requires one end to be bonded, you have to look at what your utility requires. Our local utility will not connect the power unless both ends are bonded.

ritelec

Good to know, thank you..
Been a while since I installed metal conduit in the meter pan, I think there was a lug for bonding..

If not, although I've seen it, I'm pretty sure the one through lug for the service neutral is not to have two conductors under the one lug...
Should be no issues running that bond through the pipe right?

Enjoy the week end all !!

Remember.

I would just add than, depending on how "objectionable current" is defined/enforced, there are sometimes multiple ways to bond a service raceway or enclosure, and one of these methods could require a BB or BL on both ends. For example, say you have PVC coming from the utility into a metal pull box, then RGS between the pull box and the service disconnect.

Option 1: bond the pull box to the neutral conductor at/in the box (RGS needs a BB or BL on one end).
Option 2: run a bonding jumper from the pull box to the neutral (probably in the service disconnect, RGS needs a BB or BL on one end).
Option 3: use a BB or BL on both ends of the RGS.

It could be argued that #1 causes objectionable current, but I have never heard of anyone being required to modify their bonding arrangement due to objectionable current.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ours is just the opposite, they won't allow a connection inside the meter socket.
Not only does ours require the double bonding, they require two ground rods (even where the code would not require any ground rods) and that the GEC from those rods be connected in the meter can.

ritelec

Not only does ours require the double bonding, they require two ground rods (even where the code would not require any ground rods) and that the GEC from those rods be connected in the meter can.

installed the gec in meterpan couple yrs back.., was asked to remove that gec from meterpan

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
installed the gec in meterpan couple yrs back.., was asked to remove that gec from meterpan
It

all depends on the inspection dept and/or the power company. Some power company's will not allow connection in the meter pan while some inspectors say that the grounding electrode conductor is not accessible in the meter can and thus it cannot be installed there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It

all depends on the inspection dept and/or the power company. Some power company's will not allow connection in the meter pan while some inspectors say that the grounding electrode conductor is not accessible in the meter can and thus it cannot be installed there.

Here in Northern NJ both local POCO's do not allow the connection in the meter pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.