Service entrance neutral CCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

Is 310.15(B)(5)(c) applicable to the service entrance neutral (grounded) conductor since this refers to the neutral yet the service entrance neutral in the NEC is referred to as the "grounded" conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is 310.15(B)(5)(c) applicable to the service entrance neutral (grounded) conductor since this refers to the neutral yet the service entrance neutral in the NEC is referred to as the "grounded" conductor.

Why wouldn't the service entrance grounded conductor also be a neutral?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Agree, but it seems like it would be rare to have a service where the "major" portion of the load is non-linear.

kwired

Electron manager
A "neutral conductor" is usually required to be the conductor of the system that is grounded when you have a grounded system.

Not all "grounded conductors" are necessarily neutral conductors though. Take a corner grounded delta system for example - the grounded conductor is not a neutral conductor. A two wire system also has no neutral, but you very well may ground one of those conductors.

If dealing with a system that doesn't have a "neutral" then 310.15(B)(5) doesn't apply at all. If you do have a neutral then you need to further proceed through (B)(5) until you find the situation you do have and apply accordingly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not all "grounded conductors" are necessarily neutral conductors though. Take a corner grounded delta system for example - the grounded conductor is not a neutral conductor. A two wire system also has no neutral, but you very well may ground one of those conductors.

Good point. :cool:

I was thinking in terms of the 3 most common systems, single phase 120/240, WYE, and 3 phase 4 wire Delta.

jumper

And also we could have a neutral that is not grounded. It would be very rare but is nec permitted at certain voltages.

No, no, no. Don't talk about stuff like that.

I want all my noodles grounded. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling so I sleep better at night.

Someone here once mentioned an ungrounded WYE and I believe it has scarred me for life.

kwired

Electron manager
No, no, no. Don't talk about stuff like that.

I want all my noodles grounded. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling so I sleep better at night.

Someone here once mentioned an ungrounded WYE and I believe it has scarred me for life.
For typical premises wiring systems yes, you usually want the neutral grounded. For specialty application maybe not.

There is high impedance ground systems also.

Status
Not open for further replies.