Service Entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

This is an excerpt from the instructions when filing electrical drawings in NYC with the Electrical Plan Review (formerly the Advisory Board):

If existing service equipment is to remain in conjunction with new service equipment and is to be supplied by the same service entrance, the drawing must indicate the make and size of the existing service equipment, and the type and size of the fuses in the existing equipment.

Where it mentions 'service entrance', is it talking about the service entrance conductors, OR is it talking about the service lateral conductors?

FYI, the incoming service to the building is underground, and the building does have a Service Point (called Service End Box in NYC, where the service lateral conductors connect to the service entrance conductors).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds to me like they want to see the existing conductors downstream of the end box and what's connected to those conductors.

JoeStillman

My guess they would be talking about everything upstream of the existing service equipment. That would be the lateral and whatever wires are between the Service Point and the Service Disconnect(s).

Grouch1980

Sounds to me like they want to see the existing conductors downstream of the end box and what's connected to those conductors.
So by 'service entrance', do they mean the service entrance conductors?

Also, from what I get from that excerpt, it sounds like they only want the info on the service equipment... so I'm thinking just the service switches and their fuses. And no info on the conductors leading up to the service equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.