Service Equipment Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I've got a PVC conduit containing the load side service entrance conductors running from the meter socket to a metallic gutter where the conductors will be tapped to feed 2 panelboards via PVC. My question is, can I install a jumper from the grounded conductor in the gutter to a mechanical lug bolted to the gutter to take care of the bonding? My other thought was to tap the GEC and bond the gutter that way. I realize 250.66 addresses the size of the jumper.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, if everything else is to code then yes the neutral will get bonded to the can as well as in the main service panel. The gec jumper size is also fine to the can.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, if everything else is to code then yes the neutral will get bonded to the can as well as in the main service panel. The gec jumper size is also fine to the can.

Yeah Dennis....That is my train of thought here, since the meter socket is bonded to the grounded conductor, why not the gutter downstream from the meter socket? It's still part of the service equipment.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I believe everything to the main disco must be bonded this way otherwise you would have a parallel neutral.

Yes but parallel paths are normal in service equipment when metallic conduit is used. In this case, the gutter is isolated because PVC is the conduit of choice. I think tapping the GEC would be another option here but the grounded conductor is the easiest way since it is already within the gutter.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I used to be able to find a pic, but today I can't... Burndy makes a critter I think is called a "stud kearney",,basically a split bolt with a stud welded to the head. Bolt the stud to the wireway, lay the grounded conductor in the split bolt part and away you go. No splicing, adding wire, etc.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I used to be able to find a pic, but today I can't... Burndy makes a critter I think is called a "stud kearney",,basically a split bolt with a stud welded to the head. Bolt the stud to the wireway, lay the grounded conductor in the split bolt part and away you go. No splicing, adding wire, etc.

Sounds kinda like a lay in lug.....Thanks Augie

Status
Not open for further replies.