Service Equipment Disconnecting Mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricalhelp

I was wondering if I was interrupting section 230.71 correctly.

There are 3 tenants in the building sharing the same electrical service (Tenant #1, Tenant #2 and Landlord)

But there is no main service disconnect on the MDP to the incoming electrical service of 1600 AMPS but I do count a total of 7 Disconnect and 4 MLO Panels.

The Landlord wants to connect a new Panel to the distribution service to service a new elevator.

I feel like the only way this is possible is to install a new Service Disconnect for the 1600 AMP service since there is more than 6 disconnect. (There is a total of 7 Disconnect)

What are my options to install a new 200 AMP panel for the Landlord to install a new elevator.

Please refer to riser diagram for your reference.

Note: There are currently 3 meters (1 meter from utility company. The two other meters are submeters)

View attachment 2563171

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Where is the service entrance in that diagram? Unless one of those disconnects (big one on left?) is on the supply side of all the others then you are correct: it's a violation and putting a new 1600A disconnect on the supply side would be one way to fix it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In this situation where the service disconnects are grouped at one location and you have feeders to each occupancy you would be limited to six service disconnects, correct ?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Each meter supplies one set of service entrance conductors and each set of service entrance conductors is permitted to have up to six service disconnects.
Actually I should have said 'may have'. Cold sequence, like multi-meter centers, are typically only allowed 1 disconnect per meter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OP said only one meter from service (POCO), other two are submeters (customer owned).
I missed that and that does make a big difference.
Not sure how they did that give that drawing with two meters connected to the CT cabinet. Around here, the utility would not permit that as there would be submeter wiring and/or CTs in the utility meter cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.