Service Equipment / Path of Egress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi all.
I'm looking at an existing warehouse that's being converted to an office space. the existing electrical service equipment is not in a room, but along the wall of the warehouse where the electrical service comes in. I have 2 questions (one of which I have the answer, but just checking anyway):

1. Is an electrical room required for the service equipment? The answer is no; but I think it should be covered (a nice fence?) to prevent access to it from a regular person.

2. Next to the service equipment, is an exit door that leads to the outside of the building. I have to check with the architect, but I think this area would be considered a path of egress. Assuming it is, would it be a violation if the service equipment is located along a path of egress?

Side note: I am considering replacing all the equipment with new, since it is very old, in the same place it is now (next to this exit door, assuming it's allowed).

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
To add to what was said for 1: No separate room or even a "fence" would be code required for typical low voltage (meaning under 1000V) equipment that is totally enclosed and has "dead front" access doors. Some gear might still be good design decision to have such barriers to limit easy access to non qualified persons though. - Still can't block any required egress paths with whatever you do, relocating a path if necessary might be an option though.

Any equipment at any voltage with exposed live components is a different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.