service grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbellmore0919

residential home I have provided taps ahead of the main breaker in the main panel, to supply
power to a panel for a solor photovoltaic system. I have tapped the neutral conductor and both A and B phases. 120v 240v single phase home. Am I required now to also run a grounding conductor from my solor panel out to the existing ground rods. Even though this is a main breaker panel first means of disconnect?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Your PV system is required to use the same grounding electrode system as the service. As such, a grounding electrode conductor will be necessary. 690.47 states the grounding electrode conductor shall be installed in accordance with 250.64. So there are other options to running to the existing ground rods. See 250.64(D).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Your PV system is required to use the same grounding electrode system as the service. ...
That is, if your PV panel is located at the same building or structure as the service. If it is not, a separate grounding electrode system is required.

pbellmore0919

Thanks. Thought I could get away with just the grounded conductor, since that and the grounding conductor are bonded 3' away in the meter can. with grounding electrodes there.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks. Thought I could get away with just the grounded conductor, since that and the grounding conductor are bonded 3' away in the meter can. with grounding electrodes there.
That is one of the options.

250.64(D) said:
(3) Common Location. A grounding electrode conductor
shall be connected to the grounded service conductor(s) in
a wireway or other accessible enclosure on the supply side
of the service disconnecting means. The connection shall
be made with exothermic welding or a connector listed as
grounding and bonding equipment. The grounding electrode
conductor shall be sized in accordance with 250.66
based on the service-entrance conductor(s) at the common
location where the connection is made.

Status