Service grounding ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeans

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Working next to a fire house in old town Alexandria I noticed a werid connection at the service head. From the street a 3 phase 4 wire coming up a 3" GRC pipe (no wheather head, just open pipe) and the pipe was bonded/Tapped to the neutral wire. From the firehouse a 2" pipe with weather head sticking out of wall and 4 wires connected to the riser wires. Then I looked down, and saw that the 3"GRC pipe goes into 3" PVC pipe. Ok, now i know why the pipe was bonded, but shouldn't be bonded to a equipment ground and not the neutral. there is a 1/2" emt right next to the 3" pipe, this does'nt seem right to me (shock harzard) any thoughs,

THANKS JOE

greenjeans

Inactive, Email Never Verified
ever read something, but never sinks in on what you just read. Never thought that ever applied to me and then i said " wow, i do this ever time I install a meter base..................daaaa Thanks again

romeo

Service grounding ???

Because it is on the supply side of the service disconnect it is required to be bonded to the neutral.

I always require a metal conduit at a pole to be bonded to the utility neutral.

My question is, will the primary fuses at the transformer trip should there be a groundfault at the conduit?

iwire

Staff member
I always require a metal conduit at a pole to be bonded to the utility neutral.

Good idea but IMO beyond the reach of the MEC. 90.2(B)(5)(a)

My question is, will the primary fuses at the transformer trip should there be a groundfault at the conduit?

I doubt it, I think more likely something will burn clear.

romeo

Service grounding ???

Good idea but IMO beyond the reach of the MEC. 90.2(B)(5)(a)

Bob as always thank you. IMO the utility responsability ends at the service point,in this case at the secondary of the transformer.The service conductors and the conduit are installed and provided bt the EC.

I doubt it, I think more likely something will burn clear.

I feel the same way,so what is the purpose of bonding the conduit? IMO pvc would resolve the problem but the utility balks at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.