service grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question on grounding. We normally see one wire from the service (first disconnect on the dwelling) to two ground rods six feet apart on the exterior of the dwelling. Then, we would have another wire from the same service to the copper water line and/or the UFER ground.

We have some contractors who want to use one wire for all. First to the exterior ground rods, then into the dwelling to the copper water line and/or the UFER. We feel that the portion on the exterior is extremely subject to damage as it is unprotected and if so damaged, we would have no ground whatsoever. How and where would the code address this type of installation.

I would appreciate any help.

hillbilly

Re: service grounds

250-50 for the grounding electrode system, 250-104 for the interior water piping, 250-64b for protecting the conductor.

websparky

bradford,

Based on your description, there doesn't necessarily mean there is a code violation.
I think 110.3 would come into play and the decision would have to be made by the AHJ.

[ September 11, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: websparky ]

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

The practice you are complaining about was at one time required by the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). It was thought to reduce the likelihood of lightning entering the structure. The Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) was connected to the neutral at the load side of the service drop service entry splices. From there it was run to the ground rod and on to any additional electrodes. A few of the Coops that the REA set up still require this as there standard of service in their state tariffs.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.