Service ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

So I have to put a new service on my house I'm renovating single phase 200a . The issue is I'm going to be putting all new Sideing and I want to do the service now , should I wait until new Sideing goes up ? I was thinking Demo the portion of the old siding where I want to mount new service. Mount an Arlington meter base on the sheathing and maybe use some strut to mount the pipe and just take it off after the siding goes on ? Any suggestions or ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I'm putting the panel inside, the only thing that's outside is the meter base and mast

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What kind of siding?

As a general rule I think it is best to use plywood, trim, or something similar behind the service panel and but the siding to it.

One problem with mounting the meter before the siding goes up is if you have to replace the meter at a later date you don't always get the same size meter cabinet/base. Then you have to re-do the siding or J-channel to fit the new meter base.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Vinyl siding siding blocks are a good solution.
I prefer siding behind the meter, IMHO it looks better.
When working with siding contractors they would sometimes prep that corner and few lower rows just to get the meter situated in place.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Vinyl siding here makes the mounting block behind the meter base the best solution. If you mount the meter base to the vinyl siding, it prevents the siding from floating like it should, resulting in warped siding as we go from 35°F to 60 °F in a single day, and 0°F to 100°F in a year. Dark vinyl siding you can hear creep as the sun gets on it!

Then the vinyl contractor runs J channel around the mounting block, like any other protrusion.

Keep enough room to run the vinyl siding behind your conduit feeding/leaving the meter base.

retirede

In these parts, often a treated 2x12 is mounted on the house and they have the guys doing the trim (fascia/ soffit) wrap it in aluminum. Then the siding guys trim it with J channels.

nickelec

How much space would you say you need behind the pipe maybe an inch three-quarter insulation plus to sideing

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Pretty sure you can get siding blocks from Arlington made for the meter can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
In these parts, often a treated 2x12 is mounted on the house and they have the guys doing the trim (fascia/ soffit) wrap it in aluminum. Then the siding guys trim it with J channels.
Done that or similar before, but don't wrap treated lumber with aluminum trim, it will corrode the aluminum. Since it is protected from weather by the aluminum trim just use regular lumber.

I prefer siding behind the meter, IMHO it looks better.
for about any type of siding except vinyl.

retirede

Done that or similar before, but don't wrap treated lumber with aluminum trim, it will corrode the aluminum. Since it is protected from weather by the aluminum trim just use regular lumber.

Back when treating was CCA, it wasn’t too bad, though not recommended.

The current ACQ would definitely cause problems with aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.