Service Inspection Portland Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Nice inspection, guy seems to know his stuff. Not sure if shaking the conductors is an adequate test for torque tightness. ;)

I agree with ceb58 that anti-ox is not required but a common practice. In the past I would have questioned the use of the chase nipple since it's not a listed service raceway in Article 230. I think everyone here disagreed with me. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I noticed one boo-boo: he called the bonding lug for the enclosure the main bonding jumper. In this panel, the neutral bus itself is the MBJ.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wonder if their poco doesn't allow the GEC to land in the meter base?
Ours doesn't, and I sure wish it did. It's in the perfect place.

I noticed he said the wire to the bonding bushing was too small, but nothing about the stranded GEC being larger than necessary.

I wonder whether acorn clamps are okay with stranded wire.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the past I would have questioned the use of the chase nipple since it's not a listed service raceway in Article 230. I think everyone here disagreed with me. :)
Are standard nipples so listed? Or do you consider them short rigid conduits?

I look at a chase nipple as a close nipple with a locknut that doesn't come off.

ivsenroute

Not bad. I wonder if their poco doesn't allow the GEC to land in the meter base? His one statement about the anti-oxidant is incorrect as far as code goes, but it is usually a mfg. recommendation so most inspectors and EC's dont think twice about using it.

Of the 4 POCOs that I deal with in my area, none of them want the GEC connected inside the meter base.

hurk27

Around here we have a few inspectors who wrongly site 250.119 for not marking the GEC with green tape at the neutral bar, I tell them this is a GEC not a EGC, but most times hit it with a piece of tape and go home:roll:

ray cyr

I noticed one boo-boo: he called the bonding lug for the enclosure the main bonding jumper. In this panel, the neutral bus itself is the MBJ.

It looks to me that the neutral bus is mounted so that it is not in contact with the can. Is that maybe why he called the bonding lug the MBJ?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks to me that the neutral bus is mounted so that it is not in contact with the can. Is that maybe why he called the bonding lug the MBJ?
I'm sure it is, but for it to actually serve that function, the electrodes and EGC's would have to be landed on the enclosure, and depend on that jumper for their connection to the neutral.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are standard nipples so listed? Or do you consider them short rigid conduits?

I look at a chase nipple as a close nipple with a locknut that doesn't come off.

By definition a short nipple meets the definition of RMC a chase nipple does not. :)

romeo

Service Inspection Portland Style

I don't see an insulator at the top of the conduit, for attaching the service drop.It May not be a code violation but in this area it is supplied by the EC

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One clip, I would put a few more. About the bonding conductor to the bushing. I was told that #8 solid was all you need for a bond.

Depends on your service conductor size. 250.66 is your guide (from 250.102)

Status
Not open for further replies.