SERVICE LATERALS INSTALLED IN DRAINAGE PIPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Had a homeowner with good intentions install a 4" corregated drainage pipe for the purpose of running two 4/0-4/0-2/0 service laterals from the ICF basement walls to the meters. These were put in before pouring and backfilling. Any comments? Code violation?

[ August 18, 2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: al ]

al

Re: SERVICE LATERALS INSTALLED IN DRAINAGE PIPE?

Wires are not installed yet. They would be URD/USE

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Yes its a violation as the drainage pipe is not UL listed or recognized as a chapter 3 wiring method.
Someone digging would not expect to find conductors in a drain pipe.
If the home owner is asking you to install the conductors in the drain pipe, I would decline, explain its a code violation, unsafe and won't pass inspection. If its for utility wiring, the POCO may not allow.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tom baker:
Yes its a violation as the drainage pipe is not UL listed or recognized as a chapter 3 wiring method.
Tom the cables in question URD/USE do not require a raceway.

IMO saying this URD/USE is a violation in this unlisted pipe would be the same as saying NM in a stud bay is a violation as the stud bay is not a listed raceway.

I do agree it has the potential for an accident. :(

william runkle

Was any warning tape indicating that buried wires are underneath used? if not then it is a potential danger. But to show my age the local electric co-op use to require Orangeburg for service lateral under potential sidewalks or driveways, prior to the use of P.V.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.