Service LB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I've been asked to correct an issue that was brought up during a Home Inspection. I have a Service LB that someone has installed a 1/2" connector in in order to run electric to the 2nd floor.

What would be a good solution to close up the hole left after I remove the conduit?

Thanks, as always

Attachments

• IMG_6907-Crop.jpg
    IMG_6907-Crop.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
A blunder plug with caulk/sealant maybe ? Others will chime in with more creative ways.

Some will tell you to show them where in the code it says you cant do that...... :)
The only problem is that there are service conductors in there.....
or is it.....

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
What would be a good solution to close up the hole left after I remove the conduit?

The hole is low, and, as the exterior raceway penetrates across a temperature difference, the raceway should have something like "duct seal" to stop air flow and inhibit condensate from wicking along the conductors into the wall. . . and the LB should be able to drain.

If there aren't weep holes in the bottom of the LB, add them, and, IMO, snap in a steel or plastic K.O. seal, and be done with it. The inside of the LB is already defined as a wet location, so I think it's pointless to seal the K.O. seal. I like the idea of a steel K.O. seal 'cause the tines can be flattened out on the inside of the LB making it harder to snap the seal off.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree, weatherproof KO seal and you're done with it.
Yes Weatherproof.

Oh and a code section that says you can't do that would be 110.3(B) "....shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." If they needed to go in the side he should have used a "T" or pull box.

iwire

Staff member
Yes Weatherproof.

Oh and a code section that says you can't do that would be 110.3(B) "....shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." If they needed to go in the side he should have used a "T" or pull box.

OK, can you show me the directions that come with say a NEMA 4 junction box that tell me I can drill a hole in it to enter a conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I've been asked to correct an issue that was brought up during a Home Inspection. I have a Service LB that someone has installed a 1/2" connector in in order to run electric to the 2nd floor.

Just to be clear, someone took a branch circuit from the main panel, ran it back out the service conduit along with the service wires to the LB and from there to the second floor?
And you will reroute that circuit and are just trying to figure out how to close the hole rather than have to replace the LB?

Occupation
Inspector
Just to be clear, someone took a branch circuit from the main panel, ran it back out the service conduit along with the service wires to the LB and from there to the second floor?
And you will reroute that circuit and are just trying to figure out how to close the hole rather than have to replace the LB?

Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.