service line

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristi

I'm a little confused.I knew that the Service Line cant be more than 5 ft. inside the house.If the service line is pulled from the meter to the panel under the house and then it comes trough the floor to the panel and its more than 5 ft. does it mean that it's not possible?Do you count the feets from under the house too?:-?

mdshunk

cristi said:
Do you count the feets from under the house too?:-?
Not if it's under the slab of the house or under the minimum cover amount of dirt in a crawl space. In those cases, it's not considered "in" the house yet. I've got a pretty nice picture someplace showing such an install.

cristi

Mark,can you please send me the picture to this e-mail because I have a disput with an inspector

E-mail: Please send a private message to get email address.

***E-mail address removed in accordance with forum rules. Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
service

service

cristi, note that if your area uses the "5 ft rule" that is local...our area uses 3 ft. The NEC only says "nearest the point of entrance"...
Sight unseen I would think it would be difficult to come into any crawl space or void and maintain the "5ft".. with a slab, yes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Cristi, show the inspector this:

[quote='02 NEC]
230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building. Conductors shall be considered outside of a building orother structure under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete beneath a building or other structure
(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick
(3) Where installed in any vault that meets the construction requirements of Article 450, Part III
(4) Where installed in conduit and under not less than 450 mm (18 in.) of earth beneath a building or other structure[/quote]

If you are installing the service entrance conductors under a house, remember that you cannot use Type SE cable or Type USE cables in the pipe. Type SE is not permitted installed in a raceway underground and Type USE is not permitted to be installed inside premises.
338.10(A)...the second paragraph and also the UL White Book at (TYLZ), page 245 of the 2006 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.