SERVICE LOOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I saw reference in another thread about fiber or cat 6 sometimes requiring a "service loop" of say 10' to be rolled up in a ceiling.:?

jumper

I saw reference in another thread about fiber or cat 6 sometimes requiring a "service loop" of say 10' to be rolled up in a ceiling.:?

I missed that one, there was a thread about looping at the NID box I saw.

I have left a small coil up in a ceiling for future repair work of Cat 5-6, when doing open runs.

I have pulled fiber, but never terminated and they usually leave a loop also. Why, I dunno.

Neither ones were 10' though.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You remember which one or any of the posters by chance?

Dennis Alwon had a post about loops a while back. Even had a picture I believe. Something about lightning was mentioned.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok I just used 10' as an example. What I am getting at is when a service loop is usually called for regarding LV cabling what are they usually referring to?

iwire

Staff member
Because you cannot splice data cables they often require a service loop at the top of each drop.

This way there is more cable if you need to re-terminate the jacks or move the drop a bit ...... whatever 'service' may be done in the future.

Even when not required it is the professional way to do it. Of course if you have a 1000 drops (Think 250 locations four jacks each) each with a 10' loop that is 10,000' of extra cable you better plan for.

iwire

Staff member
Ok I just used 10' as an example. What I am getting at is when a service loop is usually called for regarding LV cabling what are they usually referring to?

You literally leave a 10' coil of extra cable above the jack location in the ceiling, plan on a support and some straps for each of these.

Here are some examples

bb-av_cabinet-lg.jpg

H3DDA-service-loop.jpg

Service_Loop_1.JPG

jumper

Because you cannot splice data cables they often require a service loop at the top of each drop.

This way there is more cable if you need to re-terminate the jacks or move the drop a bit ...... whatever 'service' may be done in the future.

Even when not required it is the professional way to do it. Of course if you have a 1000 drops (Think 250 locations four jacks each) each with a 10' loop that is 10,000' of extra cable you better plan for.

You literally leave a 10' coil of extra cable above the jack location in the ceiling, plan on a support and some straps for each of these.

Here are some examples

View attachment 6003

View attachment 6004

View attachment 6005

Nice.:thumbsup: Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.