Service Panel Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

3C

Have any of you had to install an Electrical panel onto a sheer wall? I'm not quite sure of the requirements. Can I drill through the wall to run my wire? Does it have to be enclosed by 2x6's?

redfish

Re: Service Panel Installation

Have any of you had to install an Electrical panel onto a sheer wall? I'm not quite sure of the requirements. Can I drill through the wall to run my wire? Does it have to be enclosed by 2x6's?
For such a vague question, this is about the best answer I can give, you can install a surface mount panel and enclose your wiring in what we call conduit. :)

cselectric

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sheer wall." In these parts, a sheer wall is a non load bearing outside wall. If that is the case, then you can install the panel as you would in/on any other wall.

sandsnow

Real quick
Shear Wall is about as load bearing as it gets. Designed to resist seismic forces, it could probably used for wind load.

Surface mount panel. no problem

Holes for conduits - depends. I know, one of those answers. How many other penetrations nearby, etc.

Recessed into the shear wall. Unless allowed for in the design, it would not be permitted. The structural engineer would have to sign off on it. If it's small, the inspector may allow it.

sparky_magoo

Look on the structural plans. All required shear walls will be shown. A length of the shear and a nailing schedule will be specified. Sometimes a wall is sheathed, but is not an actual shear wall.

If your panel is located outside of the specified shear wall, then you can safely cut the panel into the wall. If the panel location is in a specified shearwall, then you will have to relocate it. A maximun of a 12" x 12" hole is allowed in an actual shear wall.

Since shear walls are clearly shown on the plans, it would be the electrical designers responsibility to cover the relocation expense.

sparky_magoo

In CA inspectors look at the shear walls very carefully. They usually have hold downs at each end anchoring them to footings below. They tie to the trusses or joists above with approved hardware. On multi-story structures, the shear wall typically is continued on the second andd third stories. On three story structures, it is common to extend the shear wall all the way to the roof by sheathing special truss asemblies with plywood. Heaven help you if you violate a shear wall around here. I understand why CA codes are much more stringent than other states.

raider1

Staff member

Where I work we are in a seismic zone D1, which means that we have alot of sheer walls or braced wall panels.

The IRC which we use for single family and multi-family dwellings has requirements for braced wall panels. The outside walls are required to have braced wall panels that start at the ends of the wall. These braced wall panels are 4 feet long and are sheathed with OSB. They also have to be every 25 feet along the wall.

With that said usually the exterior garage wall is a braced wall panel. We typically see meter mains attached to the surface of the braced wall with conduit run underground to feed the meter and a hole drilled in the wall for the SER cable to go into the house.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.