Service panel vs sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I failed an inspection today. Unfortunately, the general contractor scheduled all the inspections and I was not present to defend myself.

I replaced a main panel as well as did a lot of electrical work involving a kitchen remodel.

The service equipment outside has a meter and a 150 amp breaker disconnect. The panel inside is fed by a four wire feeder. The inspector failed me because my permit was for a sub panel and not a "service change." There is an additional fee for service changes. I also failed because I did not have a wire connecting the panel to the cold water pipe.

I need to call him tomorrow and am not sure how to approach this. I feel he is wrong.
Any suggestions?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Worth the call. I can certainly say from experience (and I have demonstrated here) that inspectors on occasion will not see the forest for the trees and also have bad hair days (with my bald head I am at least immune to those)

stevebea

I failed an inspection today. Unfortunately, the general contractor scheduled all the inspections and I was not present to defend myself.

I replaced a main panel as well as did a lot of electrical work involving a kitchen remodel.

The service equipment outside has a meter and a 150 amp breaker disconnect. The panel inside is fed by a four wire feeder. The inspector failed me because my permit was for a sub panel and not a "service change." There is an additional fee for service changes. I also failed because I did not have a wire connecting the panel to the cold water pipe.

I need to call him tomorrow and am not sure how to approach this. I feel he is wrong.
Any suggestions?

And I'm sure he feels likewise. The fact is that you did a service change and did not bond to the water line. I would not try to call him out on this one.... sorry.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
No problem

No problem

I spoke with the inspector today. He was very gracious. He said he was in a hurry and did not look closely enough to realize that I had a four wire feeder and not a service cable.
Re inspection on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.