service raceway bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gserve

Do you need a bond bushing when using a offset nipple if 1 end is threaded into a myers hub? The offset nipple is installed between the bottom of a meter socket and the top of a disconnect.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: service raceway bonding

I had hoped to see some answers to this question. I would guess that you would still need a bonding bushing at the end that is not threaded into a hub.
--
Tom

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

A meyers hub is listed as a fitting, and does not meet the intent of Art 250 for assured bonding when used with unfused service entrance condutors. You need to get the hub with the locknut that has a setscrew for attachment of the bonding jumper, which as above notes, Meyers offers.

If your gounded service ent. conductor is mechanically bonded to the meter by the manufactor and the grounded service ent. conductor is bonded to the disconnect with a main bonding jumper, isn't the nipple bonded and a fault path met as per code?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

ras,
The raceway itself must be bonded. This is to provide a fault clearing path for a fault from a hot to the raceway. Remember that we are on the line side of the service disconnet and that in most cases the fault has to burn itself clear as the utility transformer OCPD will likely not open to clear the secondary side fault.
Don

Yes but isn't the hub bonded by the 4 screws that are attaching to the equipment and I believe it is listed in this way and if so the meter can is already bonded and the nipple is boneed to the hub that is bonded to the disconnect. Is this not what 250-94(2)is refering to. It says threaded coupling or threaded bosses. Is this not the case?Equipment bonded mechanically and conductors going back to fault path? so your saying the path is being choke for lack of a better term by bad equipment bonding?

Ok,
In 250-92(a)(3) it says that raceways shall be bonded on both sides. If concentric or eccentric knock outs are used I understand,But if the meter is knocked out all the way or the meter is punched out then I don't see bonding both ends.I believe that art. 250-12 applies

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

ras,
I don't think that there was a factory supplied hub involved in the original question. A raceway threaded into the meter can or panel hub that was supplied by the manufacturer needs no additional bonding. All other raceways must comply with 250.92(B). This section applies to clean knockouts as well as concentric or ecentric ones. Standard locknuts and bushings do not provide the required bonding. This section does not require that both ends of the raceway be bonded, but some utilities do.
Don

Don your right. So many times you see a factory hub in my jurisdiction. So you agree that if a factory suppied hub is installed the off set nipple is suffecently bonded and not needed to be bonded at the other end say at the meter can where no hub is being used. What if concentric or eccentric knock outs are not punched out all the way at the meter feeding to the main disconnect? Then 250-94 says bonding jumper shall be used with concentric and eccentric are punched. I knew it was in there some where. So do we still have to bond the non hubbed side. The meter is bonded by the grounded service entrance conductor at the meter right? It's my guess it doesn't but would like to know if i'm missing something.

[ June 06, 2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: rasmithircgov.com ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

1)For assured bonding at a service, only one end of the raceway must be bonded, with methods described in 250.92.
2)A hub on a meter socket (typically installed with 4 screws) provides the assured bonding.
3) A standard meyers hub does not provide the assured bonding.
4) The meter socket is bonded by the bonding of the neutral to the metal enclosure. This is allowed by Art 250.
5) an offset nipple screwed into a factory hub is considered bonded.

Thanks Tom, I've been passing them as you descibed with the hub on the main with the off set nipple screwed in the hub and not bonding the other end at the meter side. Was affraid i was doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.