Service-rated Distribution Panelboard - Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apelkner

I'm specifically looking at Square D I-Line panelboard. I have an 800A MCB board for the incoming service, so I'm looking at a table for an MCB panel that is suitable for use as service equipment. There is a note at the bottom that says "Suitable for use as service equipment if equipped with an integral main circuit breaker or when not more than six main disconnecting means are provided and the panelboard is not used as a lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard." Trying to figure out the order of operations on this statement. Can I not have any lighting branch circuits on this board?? Or is there some magic amount of lighting on a board that makes it a lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard?

It's for a shell so there are circuits for site lighting and bldg exterior lighting.

BTW I'm asking on here because I have never been able to get a hold of my Square D rep.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is interesting because in 2008 the Nec did away with the term lighting &appliance branch panelboard. Anyway, if you are planning on using a main breaker than this is not an issue anyway.

apelkner

Okay, so you are saying that this statement was indicating the options are:

integral main circuit breaker or (6 or less main disconnecting means and the panelboard is not used as lighting and appliance)

as opposed to:

(integral main circuit breaker or 6 or less main disconnecting means) AND panelboard is not used as lighting and appliance

And since you mentioned it, I see this catalog I'm looking at is from 2007.

Thanks, this is a relief.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Okay, so you are saying that this statement was indicating the options are:

integral main circuit breaker or (6 or less main disconnecting means and the panelboard is not used as lighting and appliance)

as opposed to:

(integral main circuit breaker or 6 or less main disconnecting means) AND panelboard is not used as lighting and appliance

And since you mentioned it, I see this catalog I'm looking at is from 2007.

Thanks, this is a relief.

That's correct. It used to be that 10% of the 6 breakers could not be 30 amp or less with a neutral connection. But again that would mean no main and this panel was used as a main service panel. I think i got that right.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.