Service upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Amped up, Ok those are your numbers, but where did you get your numbers from?
This hapens all the time. I price a job and people say "Oh that's more than I figured it would be..."

Well if you can do the figuring why the hell are you asking me?? Oh that's right, I am the electrician not you therefore I will do the figuring and tell you how much it will be. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

electricmanscott

ampedup said:
I'm remodeling my kitchen (live in metro Boston) and have received 4 quotes for electrical work.

Ampedup profile: Real estate developer :confused:

Are you really remodeling your own kitchen or are you trying to cheap out on a project by beating down the electrician?

LawnGuyLandSparky

Sounds like someone's flipping a house. Not that it's a bad thing, but it doesn't mesh with AmpedUp's willingness to go with a service upgrade when the possibility exists that it's not necessary.

I know Boston has natural gas everywhere.

ampedup

Numbers

Numbers

I got the numbers (admittedly rough ones) from a commercial electrician who's working on one of the multifamily projects (55 units) I'm involved in. Sounds like the numbers he gave me were WAY too low. Not looking to cheap out, as electricmanscott suggested. By the way, electricmanscott, you sound a little ticked. I'm merely trying to gauge what a fair price is for the scope of work. I don't want to pay 50 grand for a Toyota Camry, know what I mean?

Unfortunately, there's no natural gas in my neighborhood.

celtic

ampedup said:
I got the numbers (admittedly rough ones) from a commercial electrician who's working on one of the multifamily projects ....

Is he an electrician...or is he the business owner?

You'll find a vast gap in pricing between an "Indian" and a "Chief".

ampedup

Electrician vs. Biz Owner

Electrician vs. Biz Owner

Celtic,

Really good question. He's a a business owner, but also a licensed electrician. I'll have to stay alert to any change orders on the multifamily project...

By the way, does anybody on this tread recommend any remodeler cans and under-cabinet lights over others? I think I'm going with Lightolier and Kichler, respectively (ruled out Juno for the cans because of the plastic baffle and Creative Lighting under-cabinets because they reportedly get way too hot. I heard from a lighting store (probably the best in Boston) that Lightolier or Halo are best for remodeler cans and that Kichler or another brand that starts with the letter "A" (?). are the way to go. Any thoughts?

electricmanscott

I tend to use mostly lightilier these days after thousands of Juno installations and watching the quality go into the toilet.

For undercabinet lights I use NSL. They are reasonably priced, not to tough to install and good quality. I've used thousands of those with very good results. The "A" brand the way overpriced lighting store you mentioned would be Alkco. Good stuff but ususally more money than you need to spend. Whatever you do make sure to go with Xenon over standard Halogen.

Also to respond to one of your posts, I m not angry, I am just a straight shooter and I call it as I see it. Being in the business you know how it is to deal with people so you have to forgive my skepticism based on your original question. Maybe you should just have ME wire this kitchen for you. ;)

ampedup

Service Upgrade/Kitchen Renovation

Service Upgrade/Kitchen Renovation

2 questions about the electrical work in a kitchen renovation:

1. Should xenon undercabinet lights be mounted on the back, middle or front of the cabinet bottoms? One of the electricians told me that they should be mounted in the middle and another said that they should be mounted in the back. The cabinets and counters are all standard dimensions and there is a lip across the front of the cabinets at the bottom to hide any undercabinet fixtures and wiring. Any suggestions?

2. How common is it to mount power strips to the underside of cabinets rather than install outlets in a backsplash?

I ended up hiring the 2 electricians who gave me the $6,000 quote for the kitchen work and service upgrade to 200 amps.

Thanks.

LawnGuyLandSparky

ampedup said:
2 questions about the electrical work in a kitchen renovation:

1. Should xenon undercabinet lights be mounted on the back, middle or front of the cabinet bottoms? One of the electricians told me that they should be mounted in the middle and another said that they should be mounted in the back. The cabinets and counters are all standard dimensions and there is a lip across the front of the cabinets at the bottom to hide any undercabinet fixtures and wiring. Any suggestions?

Mount them where they give you the best light. Some want them mounted to the rear, to highlight the backsplash, some want them mounted towards the front of the cabinet, to maximize illumination on the work surface.

2. How common is it to mount power strips to the underside of cabinets rather than install outlets in a backsplash?

It's getting commoner.

I ended up hiring the 2 electricians who gave me the $6,000 quote for the kitchen work and service upgrade to 200 amps.

Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cschmid said:
I am impressed so far..all these business owners giving you free advice and doing so willingly next time you have big job you should give them chance at bidding it..

As long as travel allowance is added! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.