Service Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andeavors

I have just been issued my permits for building a 900 sq. foot house with 1400 sq. feet of garage / shop in my backyard and my first question is a simple one that I have not got a simple answer to. The best (and least expensive) way for me to get this project OK'ed was for it to be a secondary dwelling and therfore I will not have a seperate service for the back house. How do you determine what Amp service is needed to service both dwellings? The front house is 1800 sq. ' with AC, pool pump, spa, elect. kitchen. It is now a 125 service. The new house will have AC and elect. kitchen and some intermitent 220 in the shop. I am thinking that a 200 Amp will be OK but how do they determine this in your world?

Question #2
I have underground utilities and PGE has said that any upgrade will require new conduit because they have had trouble with their service in some spots. A friend of a friend electrician has said that just because PGE says that they have a problem does not mean that I have to change the conduit if it is large enough for code. PGE wants 3.0". What size conduit and wire does Calif. code say I need for my service? Thank you

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We use a formal calculation process that is described in article 220 of the NEC, in order to determine the minimum required service size. As to the rest of your question, your friend of a friend electrician (if he or she is going to do this work for your) will need to pull a permit. That process will bring the utility to the table. If they don't agree to what you plan to install, they won't turn on the power. The NEC does not address the equipment that is owned or controlled by the utility. So if they want more (coming to the building) than the NEC would require (once you are inside the building), that is within their authority.

mdshunk

CallAnEC.jpg

frizbeedog

Don't Stress

Don't Stress

I must also agree with Marc. The issues you need worked out can be complex. Save time and energy by hiring trained professionals. I don't fix my own vehicles because I make more money as an electrician during the same amount of time I'd have to spend working it all out. And there are things in my modern car I don't no jack about. I recently fixed, or should I say rewired a simple project that went on for months on end because they hired someone with some expericne with electrical. :roll:

It was thorn in their side for too long which I easily removed in a couple of days. Every aspect of the project handled. What a relief for some stressed out homeowners.

Find good contractors and get on with your life. :smile:

Best wishes.

Andeavors

Thanks guys. I will look into NEC 220 for min. service requirements. Call an electrician!! Never...no just kidding. I was an electrician many years ago when I was smart and have always done my own work. This project will be lots of fun but I've just got to get the utilities' specs. From what I am told (not by the utility) their conduit size is just a "recommendation" but they won't divulge this info to me and are telling me it?s a requirement. 3.0" sounds awful big. We'll see. Thanks again.

frizbeedog

Andeavors said:
Thanks guys. I will look into NEC 220 for min. service requirements. Call an electrician!! Never...no just kidding. I was an electrician many years ago when I was smart and have always done my own work. This project will be lots of fun but I've just got to get the utilities' specs. From what I am told (not by the utility) their conduit size is just a "recommendation" but they won't divulge this info to me and are telling me it?s a requirement. 3.0" sounds awful big. We'll see. Thanks again.

You mentioned PGE as the utilty, what area are you in? 3" is standard for service laterals here and our utilty is PGE.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
Andeavors said:
Question #2
... PGE wants 3.0". What size conduit and wire does Calif. code say I need for my service? Thank you

Just built 6 small homes with 100 amp service each.
PG&E required 3" conduit to each. The runs weren't
particularly long either - about 30 feet to a Christy
box. We had to trench anyway, and just did what they wanted. I would not waste any time arguing with PG&E.

TwinCitySparky

Andeavors said:

I was an electrician many years ago when I was smart and have always done my own work.

When I retire from this business, will I get the same response?? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.