Service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trovmar

Hi guys, quick question i was told today that you can only use schedule 80 pvc conduit for a service to a one family dwelling. He proceeded to tell me that if i use schedule 40 pvc i will fail inspection. Is this true?:-?

Buck Parrish

Trovmar said:
Hi guys, quick question i was told today that you can only use schedule 80 pvc conduit for a service to a one family dwelling. He proceeded to tell me that if i use schedule 40 pvc i will fail inspection. Is this true?:-?

If he is the AHJ.
You may be in an area that requires it.
Generally it is used when coming out of the ground.

quogueelectric

Trovmar said:
I have seen guys spin the writing around when they bought the wrong pipe to make it not as obvious.

wbalsam1

Trovmar said:

See 300.5(D)(4).

wbalsam1

quogueelectric said:
I have seen guys spin the writing around when they bought the wrong pipe to make it not as obvious.

This is an age-old trick around here, and often times, it's just plain difficult to tell whether it's 40 or 80. :confused: :smile:

electricmanscott

Trovmar said:

Tell him to prove it.

In general, the answer is not the one that he gave you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is always a call by the inspector. Schedule 40 cannot be used where subject to physical damage. That is a very subjective rule. 352.10(F)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
bikeindy said:
Here it is required by the POCO
That is ok as long at the conduit is on the line side of the service point. The utility has no right to make rules for anything, other than their meter, that is on the load side of the service point.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
No Sch40 here

No Sch40 here

Were aren't allowed to use Sch40 here at all for service risers.

One POCO will allow Sch80 risers, the other requires Steel Risers only.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Chamuit said:

Probably because the intense sun breaks down the sch 40 easier than 80.

I did a service at the beach in SC and they required galvanized risers there for that same reason.

Colorado Springs

Colorado Springs

Chamuit said:

Same in Colorado Springs... from meter to panel: Sch 80 PVC.
From transformer to Meter: GRC (with tape when in contact to the earth + 18" above grade)

Something about being subject to damage. I will agree that Sch 80 is a fair bit tougher than Sch 40. And well, nothing comes close to GRC...

For unprotected lines, it is always GRC... (here anyway)

I can say that I have seen people wipe the markings off of Sch 40 (PVC glue works great... or so I've heard... :wink: ) or flip the pipe too...

Status
Not open for further replies.