Service Warning Ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

To comply with 300.5(D)(3), would the warning ribbon actual need to state "warning" or would yellow "caution" ribbon be suffice?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Service Warning Ribbon

IMO 'warning' as used in that section is a description of the ribbons function not a mandate as to what the ribbon says or looks like.

Most of the ribbon we use says

"Caution Electric Line Buried Below"

redfish

To comply with 300.5(D)(3), would the warning ribbon actual need to state "warning" or would yellow "caution" ribbon be suffice?
300.5 (D) (3) clearly states warning ribbon not caution ribbon. :)
IWIRE beat me to it. :)

[ August 02, 2005, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

physis

I'm being somewh sarcastic but I was talking with a structural contractor recently and the idea of warning tape came up. Neither of us thought it would matter if someone were to use a fence post auger. :confused:

Edit: Extra word.

[ August 02, 2005, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

charlie

Bryan, your title says, "Service Warning Ribbon" and that would indicate to me that it is owned by the serving electric utility. If this is true, you will have to follow their standards. We do not require the warning ribbon and neither does the NESC. The reason is that we will locate all of our UG facilities and you are required in Indiana by statute to "call before you dig".

This is not to say that you can't install the ribbon if you want to but we do not require its installation. With all that said, you still have to follow the requirements of the serving electric utility. :D

redfish

originally posted by charlie,
Bryan, your title says, "Service Warning Ribbon" and that would indicate to me that it is owned by the serving electric utility. If this is true, you will have to follow their standards. We do not require the warning ribbon and neither does the NESC. The reason is that we will locate all of our UG facilities and you are required in Indiana by statute to "call before you dig".
With all due respect,I don't see any exceptions in 300.5 (D) (3).As an electrician,I am guided by the NEC. :)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by redfish:
With all due respect,I don't see any exceptions in 300.5 (D) (3).As an electrician,I am guided by the NEC. :)
It just depends on where the 'service point' is.

90.2 Scope.
(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:

(5)Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations

a.Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or
If it is a service lateral under the control of the utility 300.5(D) does not apply.

redfish

It just depends on where the 'service point' is.quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.2 Scope.
(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:

(5)Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations

a.Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it is a service lateral under the control of the utility 300.5(D) does not apply.
Good point, however the POCO doesn't supply the conduit in my area, just the wire inside. As long as I am the one installing the conduit then 300.5 (D) (3) applies. :)

charlie

Redfish, you are required to meet our specifications when you are installing conduit for our use. We are going to the size (minimum 4 in.), type (PVC), and depth (36 in. deep trench). If you want to install the ribbon, go for it but remember that you are on our side of the service point. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.