Service Wire and Feeder ampacity

sparkync

For years I have used the table that says for residential services and feeders, you can use #2 for 100 amps, and 4/0 for 200 amps. I got turned down on a feeder that I had a 100 amp breaker on. I had to put in a 90 amp breaker instead. Obviously that rule no longer exist. I guess that means that 4/0 is no longer acceptable for 200 amp, and I'll have to go to 3/0 copper or 250 aluminum. Is this correct?
Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It still exists. The table was not there for a cycle or two, but there was a rule that permitted the conductor to have an ampacity of 83% of the service rating.
Starting with the 2020 code the table is back but in a new location. 310.12.
In the 2017 the rule, without a table, was in 310.15(B)(7). The table was in Example D7 in the 2017 code.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
For years I have used the table that says for residential services and feeders, you can use #2 for 100 amps, and 4/0 for 200 amps. I got turned down on a feeder that I had a 100 amp breaker on. I had to put in a 90 amp breaker instead. Obviously that rule no longer exist. I guess that means that 4/0 is no longer acceptable for 200 amp, and I'll have to go to 3/0 copper or 250 aluminum. Is this correct?
Thanks
Is this "feeder" carrying the entire load of the dwelling?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
For years I have used the table that says for residential services and feeders, you can use #2 for 100 amps, and 4/0 for 200 amps. I got turned down on a feeder that I had a 100 amp breaker on.
Was this either (a) a feeder on a 100A residential service or (b) a 100A feeder that carries the whole load of the residence? If so, #2 Cu is fine for 100A, absent any ampacity correction or adjustment.

But if it was, say, a 200A service for one residence, you've never been allowed to use #2 Cu for a 100A feeder on that service. Only the 200A service and any 200A feeders.

Cheers, Wayne

sparkync

Here in NC, we are still going by the 2017 code in residential. In 310.15 (B) 7 (1) through(4), it says that we can take 83% of the service and feeder rating. 83% of 100 amps would be 83 amps, thus allowing #2 aluminum which is good for 90 amps, to be used as a service wire or feeder wire in residential, and 83% of 200 amps would be 166 amps, which is less than the 180 amps that 4/0 aluminum is good for in Table 310.15 (B)(16), thus allowing 4/0 to be good for 200 amps for service ore feeders wires. What am I missing? Thanks again.

sparkync

texie, sorry, I missed your post. No, the #2 Aluminum feeder was just going to a subpanel, not the entire load of the dwelling, so I can see where I was wrong there. If it were going to the entire load of the house, according to the 83% rule, would it not be alright then?, thanks

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, you got it now. I will say though that I have seen many AHJs accept the 83% rule for sub panels such as the typical basement panel. I might add though that some allow it out of ignorance.
texie, sorry, I missed your post. No, the #2 Aluminum feeder was just going to a subpanel, not the entire load of the dwelling, so I can see where I was wrong there. If it were going to the entire load of the house, according to the 83% rule, would it not be alright then?, thank