Service with a twist - what's in the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey, all. I just saw an unusual (to me) service on a new building under condtruction. There are about six of these buildings in what may be a medical center. Each building looks to be around 1500-2000 sq ft and is divided into two suites.

Each building has what I drew here; a typical 320a meter with two 200a disconnects, and beside it, another setup, but the supply has two pipes and a large L-shaped can.

What could be in the can?

My first thought is a transfer switch, but why would it all pass through the meter, and ahead of the disconnects? Maybe POCO supplied? That would be three conduits to each building.

What about a loop-through? That would mean the 'last' building is missing one pipe. I'll have to try to look around if I get a chance. Meanwhile, any ideas?

WeirdService.jpg

e57

I'll make assumptions on the big can being a poco service termination point. Our local premidonnas - I mean poco wont terminate in anything that is not to their 3x the size you and I would use spec's, or have terminations that practically install themselves. Then I would aslo assume that the smaller can next to it is taps to the other service. (Down - underground to the next one.) They probhably had the ground open and decided to use it to either help keep the install clean or workspace...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All three of you came up with the same guess. Who'd a-thunk it?

I'll have to look into it and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.