Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Service disconnect for Charter cable communication equipment . It is mounted on the Alabama power co. Pole ,
No meter.

Question # 1
Does the NEC cover the communication company.?
90.2(B)(4)

Question #2
Is it allowed by the NEC too jump the main lugs together using a single phase 120 V service ?
If so is this a common practice ?
I was instructed to install the jumper so that someone in the future would not have too do it while energized.
Please opine.

Attachments

• 7DB61D5A-85B5-46D3-A4AB-BC9DDF93F5E2.jpeg
    7DB61D5A-85B5-46D3-A4AB-BC9DDF93F5E2.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If it's a Service Disconnect why is there an EGC coming into the top? Doing such creates parallel return paths.

Unless rated for it, only 1 conductor allowed under the lug. No jumpers allowed.

If Service Disconnect the Neutral bar doesn't seem to be bonded to the enclosure.

If it's not a Service Disconnect the Neutrals and Grounds should be separated.

And on, and on,,,

JAP>

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think your 90.2 is a legitimate question. From the wording I have no answer..perhaps others will....
(It's a moot point in our area as POCO won't hook anything up without an inspection)
as to Question 2, installing the jumper would likely be a violation of 110.14.
Some electricians here will double over the main wire and connect the tail to the other lug... no sure that's much different but it gets accepted.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think your 90.2 is a legitimate question. From the wording I have no answer..perhaps others will....
(It's a moot point in our area as POCO won't hook anything up without an inspection)
as to Question 2, installing the jumper would likely be a violation of 110.14.
Some electricians here will double over the main wire and connect the tail to the other lug... no sure that's much different but it gets accepted.

That's interesting.
Never thought of that.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
As far as smaller wire, I've never had an issue with 2 conductors under a single lug.

Actually in my opinion, it looks more professional than all the things you have to do to "not" double up under a lug.

But that's where we've gotten to.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.