Settle Our Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a new discussion about a minor code issue. I will not say, as of now, which side of the fence I stand.

Is it legal to use standard drywall screws to mount conduit and boxes in the basement of a residence?

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
I'm not trying to be cute, but to answer the question we have to know what kinds of surface(s) will the conduit & boxes be mounted to. Are anchors being used? If they're being sunk deep enough into studs or joists, why not?

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Drywall screws are not listed for any other purpose than drywall. So to nit pickey the answer is no.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As long as the screw heads don't slip through the mounting holes of the straps there's no reason you can't use them to mount to interior wood framing. FWIW, I generally keep coarse thread, galvanized screws on the truck. They hold a lot better than the fine thread ones and I don't have to worry about whether I'm using them inside or out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I use drywall screws for mounting boxes and post a sign on the front door that I did.

AFIK there is no such thing as an "Electrical Box Mounting Screw" and I've looked on every isle.

Roger

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Duct tape, drywall screws, tywire, put in by 1st yr. Apprentices hold the world together.
Screw away brother!

jumper

This is what the NEC says, nothing about "listed" here.

314.23(B)(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a
fastening means, shall be attached by using brackets on the
outside of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the
interior within 6 mm (1⁄4 in.) of the back or ends of the
enclosure. Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the
box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using
approved means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation.

Teaspoon

I really don't see why you could not use drywall screws to secure straps for interior conduit. I usually use Hex head screws. or lag bolts.
The only thing that comes to mind is the head of the screw pulling thru the hole in the strap.

Ok, I'll give more to the story. The guy I worked for the majority of my career taught me that regular old drywall screws were illegal to use because they are not corrosion resistant. I asked my new boss for some hex heads and he wanted to know why I didn't have drywall screws on the truck. I did have drywall screws on the truck, but since I was under the impression I couldn't use em, I didn't think to.

After some discussion and a call to my old boss to find out just where to find this information I have two codes that he cited for his reasoning.

300.6 Protection Against Corrosion and Deterrioration

Raceways, cable trays, cablebus, auxiliary gutters, cable armor, boxes, cable sheathing, cabinets, elbows, couplings, fittings, supports, and support hardware shall be of materials suitable for the enviornment in which they are to be installed.

358.12 (6) Where praciticable, dissimilar metals in contact anywhere in the system shall be avoided to eliminate the possibility of galanic action.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

By putting the word "some" in the definition of damp locations, it opens it up to interpretion if the specific basement is moist enough to be considered damp. I would argue that you should not use drywall screws because it would be hard to argue the inspector IF he didn't like the use of drywall screws. Then take into account that drywall screws and normal, everyday emt one-hole straps are dissimilar metals, if an inspector wanted to, he could fail it and not in just basements.

That is our arguement, now I am prepared for all the ridicule for making such a big deal out of something pretty minor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is where this may be coming from. Apparently certain nails have an issue with the pressure treated wood and have known to corrode when driven into a concrete floor thru the PT wood. I have seen builders get turned down for this but that is a far cry from a screw into wood. I do not see an issue.

iwire

Staff member
Ok, I'll give more to the story.

Yes, there are times when the material hardware is made from make it unsuitable for the conditions.

Plain black drywall screws outdoors would be a bad choice.

Typical galvanized sheet metal screws could be a bad choice in a pool pump room or a chrome plating plant due to the high corrosion issues.

My point is you can't make a blanket statement that drywall screws can never be used because in some conditions, such as holing a box on a wood stud in a typical sheet rocked wall would be fine. Holding an 800 amp CT can on an exterior wall would be a poor choice for drywall screws.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Holding an 800 amp CT can on an exterior wall would be a poor choice for drywall screws.

Uh oh. :ashamed:

;)

I try to use pan head 10s for mounting, but see no code issue at all with the installation described and the references cited.

Status
Not open for further replies.