SEU cable for a additional panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
Hi,

I was at a job yesterday where a sub-panel was fed using an #4 SEU cable. It's a two story wood framing residence. I've been going over the Mike Holt grounding and bonding DVD and workbook and I understand that this is a code violation and hazard, but I'm still a little confused as to why. Is it because the return neutral current is on the enclosure to the subpanel, which can cause a fire and or shock if something loosens? Was feeding and additional panel via SEU cable ever code permissible and should I just leave it? Would I be within the code to make the subpanel only 110v by re-identifying one of the insulated conductors as a neutral?

Thank you,

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This place educates me. SEU was new on me. We have cables, of course. As a rule, we rate them rather than assign different functions to them.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't see how it is much of a hazard unless you use 3 wire cable where 4 wire is appropriate.

I think that's what he is saying.

Most of us associate SEU with being 3 wire. A feeder supplying a sub panel would require 4 conductors. SER would meet that requirement.

Besoeker3 said:
This place educates me. SEU was new on me. We have cables, of course. As a rule, we rate them rather than assign different functions to them.

Type SE designates a non-metallic service entrance cable. It can also be used for anything else according to its listing.

-Hal

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think that's what he is saying.

Most of us associate SEU with being 3 wire. A feeder supplying a sub panel would require 4 conductors. SER would meet that requirement.

Type SE designates a non-metallic service entrance cable. It can also be used for anything else according to its listing.

-Hal
Thank you, sir!
Pretty much everything we do, other than internal wiring, is steel wired armoured.

Status
Not open for further replies.