SEU from outdoor meter main

barkett519

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi All, just to clarify cam I run SEU 3 wire from outdoor meter main to main panel inside with main breaker as long as I mark outside meter main emergency disconnect??? Thank you.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Once you leave your first means of disconnect, grounded and grounding conductors must be separated. A 4th conductor would be required at the MLO panel.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
An interesting approach. Based on the definition of " service equipment" I think I would have to agree with you. However the code is a bit sloppy here
The 2023 NEC added a prohibition on using equipment marked "suitable only for use as service equipment" for an emergency disconnect that is not service equipment. An informational note says 'Equipment marked "Suitable only for use as service equipment" includes the factory marking "Service Disconnect".'

That would seem to literally be the only issue with using equipment marked "suitable only for use as service equipment" as a non-service equipment emergency disconnect. Seems to me that a prohibition on the equipment just because of the marking is way overreaction. Just put the required "EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT" label over the factory marking of "Service Disconnect."

Obviously not allowed under the 2023 NEC, but at best a gray area under the 2020 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne

Seems to me that a prohibition on the equipment just because of the marking is way overreaction. Just put the required "EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT" label over the factory marking of "Service Disconnect."

Obviously not allowed under the 2023 NEC, but at best a gray area under the 2020 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne
Interesting, thanks. Yeah seems a bit ridiculous. ITs crazy all the issues the NEC has and they put time and energy into fretting about this sort of thing.....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interesting, thanks. Yeah seems a bit ridiculous. ITs crazy all the issues the NEC has and they put time and energy into fretting about this sort of thing.....
It is crazy that they went and made the requirement for an outdoor disconnect in the first place, seeing as not having it for the last 120 some years has not been an issue of note.

I still want an answer to a question I have asked previously. Where are you going to find an unfused switch rated in excess of 10k SCCR if your available SCC exceeds 10 kA???

I think you would have to use a MCS in such cases.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I still want an answer to a question I have asked previously. Where are you going to find an unfused switch rated in excess of 10k SCCR if your available SCC exceeds 10 kA???
Nothing prohibits you from using a fused switch and labeling it EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT. The label causes it not to be the service disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

MasonF

Occupation
Master Electrician
I see it mentioned already but I think it needs pointed out again. If it is a meter main, not just a meter socket, then 250.24 needs followed and it be 4 wire run to the panel.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I see it mentioned already but I think it needs pointed out again. If it is a meter main, not just a meter socket, then 250.24 needs followed and it be 4 wire run to the panel.
Only if it is the service disconnect. Not if it is an "emergency disconnect, not service equipment" and the service disconnect is downstream.

Cheers, Wayne

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Only if it is the service disconnect. Not if it is an "emergency disconnect, not service equipment" and the service disconnect is downstream.

Cheers, Wayne
With a permanent bond by the mfg in the meter-main, I don't see how it can not be the service disconnect. In every case before the new emergency disconnect rule, a meter-main was the service disconnect and any panel after that was a subpanel and had to be fed with 4-wires. How does a field supplied label (could be a sharpie I guess) added magically change the fact that you have the bond now in two places?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
With a permanent bond by the mfg in the meter-main, I don't see how it can not be the service disconnect. In every case before the new emergency disconnect rule, a meter-main was the service disconnect and any panel after that was a subpanel and had to be fed with 4-wires. How does a field supplied label (could be a sharpie I guess) added magically change the fact that you have the bond now in two places?
The case of the meter main needs to be bonded to the neutral, just like any other equipment upstream of the service disconnect. So the permanent bond is not a problem. The emergency disconnect gets treated the same way a meter base would be treated.

If there's metallic conduit between the emergency disconnect and the service disconnect, that will present parallel paths for neutral current. Same issue as if there's a metallic conduit between a meter base and a service disconnect.

Use a 3-conductor, non-metallic wiring method between the emergency disconnect and the service disconnect, and there's no parallel path for neutral current. There's still only one N-G bond in the system, in the service disconnect, as there's no EGC or SSBJ between the emergency disconnect and the service disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
Should grouping of disconnects be applied when using separate emergency and service disconnects?

230.72 and 230.85 both directly call for grouping, but should they be considered independently of one another?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The neutral can be bonding to every metal enclosure on the line side of the service disconnect. Even if there was not a factory bond at the meter main assembly used as "emergency disconnect, not service equipment", you would have to provide some type of bond. Sure, you could install a supply side bonding jumper, but why would you when the code permits you to simply bond the neutral to the enclosure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Should grouping of disconnects be applied when using separate emergency and service disconnects?

230.72 and 230.85 both directly call for grouping, but should they be considered independently of one another?
Those are independent rules if the outside disconnect is marked "emergency disconnect, not service equipment". In that case there would be a grouping of emergency equipment and a separate grouping of service disconnects.