sewage lift station

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan316

Would the inside of a sewage lift station be considered a hazardous location. I guess the methane gas could be an issue? If it is one, what class/div?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: sewage lift station

Yes its a Class 1 Div 1 location, methane gas.
The best source of information is NFPA Standard 820, I highly recommend it if you are working in this enviroment.

"NFPA 820(03)
Standard for Fire Protection in Wastewater Treatment and Collection Facilities
Current Edition: 2003, 49pp
$49.75

NFPA 820 provides requirements for protection against fire and explosion hazards in wastewater treatment facilities and associated collection systems, including the hazard classification of specific areas and processes. This edition is updated for NFPA?s Manual of Style."

However, some WW wet wells may not be Classified, for example in Washington State if its residential, with typical residential loading, then it is unclassifed.

volt102

Re: sewage lift station

It depends on many factors such as the number of dwelling units, where the pump(s) pump it to, whether it is treated on or off site, ventilation provided, and so on.
Take Tom's advice and buy the book if you are going to use it often, or take the cheap way ( the way I go about it) and go to your fire department and ask them to view theirs.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.