Shared Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Through a bored hole in a wood stud there is a bare #4 GEC, a 10/2 w/gr NM cable, and a CAT 5E cable. The hole is draft-stopped with insulating foam.

Any issues, concerns, problems, code violations?

codeunderstanding

Re: Shared Holes

We run multiple cables in bored holes all the time. The inspectors never say anything to us. We run the cat 5 wire in separate holes though. Once in a while the low voltage wire may be ran with the high voltage wire. Maybe because where we live it mostly cold here.

bphgravity

Other than the fact that it is not a code violation, would you be concerned about lightning or other surge current on the GEC passing through the same hole in contact with NM and Cat 5E cable?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Are there any documented cases of GEC's damaging NM when in close contact during a surge or lightning strike? I tend to doubt that, but I have no idea.

macmikeman

Original quote by GeorgeStoltz
Are there any documented cases of GEC's damaging NM when in close contact during a surge or lightning strike? I tend to doubt that, but I have no idea.
Answer is probably not, but if we all discuss it to no end on the forum, and in the industry It will become a code sooner or later to separate them, regardless of problem or not.

paul

Originally posted by georgestolz:
I'm thinking that if a lightning strike did cause damage to the other cables, that damage would be the least of your problems.

bphgravity

How much difference is there between a lighnting protection system down conductor and a grounding electrode conductor?

Separation from lightning protection conductors is mandated by the NFPA 780. Doesn't the GEC and the lightning protection conductors practically serve the same purpose?

In many cases, not only does the GEC run through a hole with another cable or cables, it is run through the attic of the structure along with many of the branch circuit and feeder cables.

I doubt there is any documented cases of problems with the installations described above, however that doesn't always mean its okay.

I think grounding electrode systems are a big waste of time to start with, but if we are going to start directing surges into the structure due to electrode location, precautions should probably be made?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by bphgravity:
I think grounding electrode systems are a big waste of time to start with
Oh, I don't know. I find some comfort knowing the earth nearby is, even if ever so slightly, bonded to my system ground.

Do you find any threat or danger with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.