shared water supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
any suggestions?
water supply shared by two houses. one house supplies electric for two pumps. one pump is well pump , other pump works storage tank to pump to other house. owner wants to know electric useage for pumps.pumps are 20 amp/240volt single phase each.i was planning to use e-mon d-mon submeter until i found out they had two pumps. just use two meters?
thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can still use a single meter if you can group the two pumps' conductors for the CT's (keep each phase together!) or use a sub-panel for the two pumps, and meter that.

mdshunk

I did one a good while back like that. Two rental homes, shared one well. The well pump was just seperated out into a little 2 circuit subpanel, and I ran that subfeed cable though a customer owned Milbank 100 amp meter can and meter first. The meter can is about 9 bucks, and the meter is about 40 bucks. I suspect that's much cheaper than the submeters advertised in the electrical magazines.

peter d

mdshunk said:
The meter can is about 9 bucks, and the meter is about 40 bucks.

You bought a meter can for $9??? A typo, perhaps? Did you mean that the 2-circuit panel costs $9 and the meter can costs $40?

mdshunk

peter d said:
You bought a meter can for $9??? A typo, perhaps? Did you mean that the 2-circuit panel costs $9 and the meter can costs $40?
No, no. A 100 amp Milbank meter can is 9 dollars, and a 200 amp is 16 dollars. Why? How much do you pay for Milbank meter cans?

The actual meter you plug in, for the cyclometer type, is 40 dollars. The digitals are more like 75.

We're talking wholesale here, not retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.