Sharing a Rotary Phase Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A customer has a rotary phase converter (RPC) that runs only one machine. The RPC is connected directly to the machine via a SO cord. Now he has another machine and wants to run both machines off the RPC, but only one at a time. The two machines are very close in ampacity requirements. What would be the simplest, cheapest way to set up a way to switch from one machine to the other?
Do they make a 3-pole, double throw, switch? Maybe with a center off position?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A customer has a rotary phase converter (RPC) that runs only one machine. The RPC is connected directly to the machine via a SO cord. Now he has another machine and wants to run both machines off the RPC, but only one at a time. The two machines are very close in ampacity requirements. What would be the simplest, cheapest way to set up a way to switch from one machine to the other?
Yes, they do. In some cases it's called a transfer switch. Others use them to reverse mills ever month or so to get full use of the blades.

Occupation
Electrician

I have hard wired them to a 125amp main lug with breakers for each machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Depending on the machines and the sizing of the RPC the system might work better with both machines operating but only one under load.

If the machines are large spinning loads such as saws, and the RPC not really properly sized for starting, then once one load is spinning it will act as an additional RPC for the other.

A panel with some form of interlocked breakers is probably the cheapest approach.

Jon

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
IDR how you set it up.

Can you add DP contactor(s) and have a simple toggle switch select which one?
I like this solution. Contactors are cheap, just make sure they have adequate HP rating.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.