Sheetrock screws in plastic boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Re: Sheetrock screws in plastic boxes

Originally posted by georgestolz:

We prefer them because if there's a change, they are way easier to eliminate than blue Carlon boxes. They are easier to push wire into than than blue Carlon boxes.

Others would disagree with me, it just preference. :)
LOL. :D I wouldn't use the Allied boxes if they were free. Personal preference, you could say. ;)

I once did an ivory-to-white device change in a condo and a good portion of the Allied boxes to which they were mounted were broken. One box had the whole back broken off, just the rim of the box and the mounting holes remained. ;)

After that, I said I would never use Allied boxes.

When you say "easier to eliminate," I assume you mean the "hammer elemination method." Allied and the brown Union bakelite boxes are hands-down winners in these categories.

peter d

Originally posted by davedottcom:
[ Hey George, I think your fiberglass boxes and the bake-lite boxes I mentioned are very similar composits if not identical. I'm curious as to why you choose to use them. To each their own of course but I'm just curious!

Dave
I think the composition of fiberglass and bakelite are quite different actually.

Bakelite used to be very common in electrical devices, but it's since been replaced by nylon and thermoplastics. I think the cheap wall plates are made with bakelite.

allenwayne

To all that remember me,hi.I have been offline due to medical issues.None to bad but I had to register(forgot my old screenname password combo)Well that`s how it is.As far as drywall screws not listed where does it say that frational measurment screws have to be used!!!314.27 exc. does say a #6 min. but if it is within size then what`s the problem?Myself I would upsize to a 8/32 for a fixture,tensile strenght is an issue but for devices.using them on bakelite/composite boxes is an issue but proper judgement as we all know is the key between a D.I.Y`er and a qualified electrician.Again hi to all.Oh B.T.W. hi Jim. lol lol lol

physis

I gotta ask ya George. Are going back next week to demo your own work?
violent-smiley-090.gif

peter d

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Jeez, Peter, I don't use my hole-hawg when I'm switching and plugging! :D

Never had that big a mess to deal with, I guess.
LOL. :D I don't know how those boxes got so beat up but I'm partial to boxes that don't disintegrate so easily.

Sheetrockers are pretty brutal, and the slightest crack in an Allied box will get even worse when the rock goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.