Shielded com cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKER4261

New User
Occupation
I/E tech
Is it legal to strip the Jacket and shield from a com cable to fit through a smaller seal. I have a 2 Belden 3109A communication cables and I cannot fit a 1" seal in the location that I have to enter a flow computer. Also the entry into the flow computer is 3/4".

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I’m assuming you will do the math with respect to Don’s response above. Note the 25% maximum fill is based on RMC of the same trade size. [Section 501.15(C)(6)]

Stripping the shield and jacket may create its own problems. Most listed sealing compounds are slightly conductive and, depending on the detailed cable construction, shorting the shields can create extraneous current paths which may interfere with control signals.

You also need to be very careful to observe Sections 501.15 (D) or (E) depending on the area classification. These Sections also apply even if the cables are in raceways; in fact especially if they are.

That said, you probably can remove the jackets and shields, but you have several significant issues to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.