Shim for Durablock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Ha e some Durablock that are not sitting on level.surface and may need to be shimmed about 1/4-1/2". Anyone know how this can be accomplished with something that's WP and looks decent? Thanks

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Have you thought of cutting a piece of PVC lengthwise and sliding it under the blocks? silicone or caulk to block to keep from shifting?
Plastic toilet shims?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Which version are you using? If you use the DBE Series Elevated you can level/adjust the strut by using the threaded rod.

mstrlucky74

Which version are you using? If you use the DBE Series Elevated you can level/adjust the strut by using the threaded rod.
Good point but we have to mount the Durablock so the strut is say north/south...the slop runs east/west so adjusting the rod won't help to level it out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you have a large number of them to shim? If so I would build a jig and cut the base on an angle.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Ahh, OK. Like @tkb said, why does it need to be level? It's just designed to lay on the flat roof. I know we like our conduit runs to be a work of art but in this case it's understandable if it isn't. For only 1/4-1/2", scoop up a handful of ballast (gravel) and level the support on the pile. If no ballast, get yourself some tubes of black RTV, put some temporary shims (some kind of sticks, etc) under the support to level and squirt the RTV nice and heavy under each side. After it sets up, pull the stick.

-Hal

mstrlucky74

Ahh, OK. Like @tkb said, why does it need to be level? It's just designed to lay on the flat roof. I know we like our conduit runs to be a work of art but in this case it's understandable if it isn't. For only 1/4-1/2", scoop up a handful of ballast (gravel) and level the support on the pile. If no ballast, get yourself some tubes of black RTV, put some temporary shims (some kind of sticks, etc) under the support to level and squirt the RTV nice and heavy under each side. After it sets up, pull the stick.

-Hal
It's supporting light fixture arm

mstrlucky74

I wonder if for the DBE elevated strut you can mount a wider piece of strut. It looks like it comes with 1-5/8. I

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200904-064956.png
    Screenshot_20200904-064956.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
It's supporting light fixture arm
Better check but the product doesn't appear to be "listed" for use to support a luminary. Lateral stability issue would come to play in supporting any vertical lift like a fixture arm. These simply sit "free floating" on roof surface allowing conduit to be supported without penetrating or damaging the roof surface. As far as leveling they make a hinged base that allows to pivot base compared to "pipe" running across it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Better check but the product doesn't appear to be "listed" for use to support a luminary. Lateral stability issue would come to play in supporting any vertical lift like a fixture arm. These simply sit "free floating" on roof surface allowing conduit to be supported without penetrating or damaging the roof surface. As far as leveling they make a hinged base that allows to pivot base compared to "pipe" running across it.

^^^^AGREE!^^^^

That's NOT what the product is for.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.