Short Circuit Calculations Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
Here is the information I received from the utility company

"Service characteristics for the 600amp service is three (3) phase, 120/208 volt, four (4) wire.
The maximum symmetrical short circuit duty is 27,000 amperes at the secondary terminals of
the 75kva transformer bank."

Now I need help finding the fault at the Main Distribution Panel (MDP).

The distance from the transformer to the MDP is about 100 ft and the conduit that is running is 2 Sets of ( 4 # 350 kcmil + 1 # 2/0 kcmil G in 4" Conduit PVC)

Using the Short-Circuit Current Calculations - Eaton Bussmann, refer Table 4 for "C" Values for Conductors

To calculate the f factor, I used the following formula for Three Phase

F = (1.732 X L X Isc)/(C * n * V)

What would the value of C and n be in this example since we have the following information
Isc = 27kA
L = 100 ft
V = 208V

I tried using the Bussmann series FC2 Calculator but it seem's like I didn't have enough information to plug in

Last edited by a moderator:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I was asking since I was wondering how the came up with the value for Short Circuits Amps of 23132 from Table 1 for a 75 KVA (120/208V/3P).

They divide the transformer rated secondary current by the percent impedance...But since the percent impedance can have a 10% tolerance, the use the low side of 0.9%Z, which would give the highest possible short circuit value.

208.19A/0.9%=23132A

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The 27kA is on LV side of transformer(s). You said "75KVA bank" which tells me you have 3 x 75KVA transformers which would make sense because you can't get 600A out of a single 75KVA transformer. To get that number the utility considered an infinite bus on the HV side.

The easiest way to do what you need is to use the MVA Method. Convert the 27KA to MVA which is 9.73MVA, convert 100ft of cable to MVA which combined parallel run is approximately 21.6MVA in (PVC). Finally, the combined value is around 6.7 MVA, which equates to 18.6KA fault current at your MDP.

I ran the same scenario in ETAP and came up with a very similar number.

Don't forget that parallel MVA values combine like series impedance and series MVA values combine like parallel impedance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I tried using the Bussmann series FC2 Calculator but it seem's like I didn't have enough information to plug in
You have all the information you need to use the Bussmann app for this calculation. You just start with "add a conductor" to my system.
Using your information in the app, and assuming steel conduit, I get 17,191 amps at the end of your 100' run.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
They divide the transformer rated secondary current by the percent impedance...But since the percent impedance can have a 10% tolerance, the use the low side of 0.9%Z, which would give the highest possible short circuit value.

208.19A/0.9%=23132A

How do you figure out the percent impedance is 10%Z and use the low side of 9%Z

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The short circuit value wouldn't utilize a tolerance from the utility. They know what the transformer impedance is, or is going to be. The tolerance is only used by manufacturing to IEEE standards.

A utility transformer with an impedance of 2.31% is very realistic.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, once the utility gives you the available current at their transformer terminals, the transformer, impedance, etc. become irrelevant. All you need is their number.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
You have all the information you need to use the Bussmann app for this calculation. You just start with "add a conductor" to my system.
Using your information in the app, and assuming steel conduit, I get 17,191 amps at the end of your 100' run.

I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly?

I selected "No, Assume Infinite Current on Primary"

What was the Z% value you inputted into the system

Or did I fill out the conductor information incorrectly.

Bussmann.jpg

Also if I wanted to add my MDP at the end of the line, why does it ask for distance again when inputting a Bus Run to the system?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly?

I selected "No, Assume Infinite Current on Primary"

What was the Z% value you inputted into the system

Or did I fill out the conductor information incorrectly.

Also if I wanted to add my MDP at the end of the line, why does it ask for distance again when inputting a Bus Run to the system?

Forget the part about a transformer. Start your calculation with "Add conductor run to system."

Bussman.jpg

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
same

Status
Not open for further replies.