should i break out costs for HO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

Just to complete the scenario, this guys house is figgin huge. McMansion as we call them. Probably 4-5k sq ft house. (his 3 car garage and room above it are as big as my whole house)
He got my name from my truck when I was installing a low voltage lighting system at his next door neighbors house. (Neighbors job was easy and I made great money and he was very happy and paid me in cash).

He is a control freak and cheap with the $. He sent me a link for sun rise lighting out of CA . the well light i quoted him -my price $113 -his crappy brand was selling for $12.50 (looked the same)- I told him it was junk and probably wouldn't work after the winter and I cannot give him a warranty on the item.

I will let you know how it ends up but I'm sure he'll walk - I hope he does.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm starting to wonder why you would work for this guy in the first place. He seems like a lot of trouble for a $1600 job.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
infinity said:
I'm starting to wonder why you would work for this guy in the first place. He seems like a lot of trouble for a $1600 job.

My guess.....taking on PITA jobs is directly proportionate to how slow you are.

haskindm

He asked for a quote on the job and you gave it to him. On a quoted job, you take the risk. If it takes longer than you estimated, you take the loss. If things go better than you expected, you make an extra buck or two. That is the nature of quoted work. If this PITA customer wants a breakdown, then he will need to assume the risk. Tell him that you will do the job T&M and what your labor rate will be and the markup on the material. That way HE takes the risk. If the job takes longer it costs him more. The customer should not be in the position of forcing you to take the risk AND knowing exactly what your costs are. If he thinks your price is too high, he can get a quote from another electrician....

satcom

Jljohnson said:
You could break it down for him and then add a line item on the bottom like this one:
DAT- $300.00
When he asks you what a DAT is tell him it's the Dumb (you figure it out) Tax.

Seriously, I would never break out a bid like this for a residential customer. A long time, loyal commercial customer.... maybe.

Do it the way 95% of the services companies do, make a list of flat rate tasks, and then total them.

Example:

Install Recess lighting $1400

Install outdoor lighting $ 750

Install owner supplied junk $ 2500

Total $ 4650

bjp_ne_elec

CopperTone said:
Just to complete the scenario, this guys house is figgin huge. McMansion as we call them. Probably 4-5k sq ft house. (his 3 car garage and room above it are as big as my whole house)
He got my name from my truck when I was installing a low voltage lighting system at his next door neighbors house. (Neighbors job was easy and I made great money and he was very happy and paid me in cash).

He is a control freak and cheap with the $. He sent me a link for sun rise lighting out of CA . the well light i quoted him -my price $113 -his crappy brand was selling for $12.50 (looked the same)- I told him it was junk and probably wouldn't work after the winter and I cannot give him a warranty on the item.

I will let you know how it ends up but I'm sure he'll walk - I hope he does.

I'd lay it on the line right up front - as if you're constantly explaining to this guy, it won't be worth the aggravation. I think this guy could be a good customer - but I wouldn't not even start down the path - as it will never end. If he doesn't like the way you lay it out - move on - it's not worth it. That's my opinion.

The guys got a McMansion and can well afford a decent fair price. If he's going to micro-manage you - move on. Sounds like a control freak, and he'll have you on Maalox.

Status
Not open for further replies.