shower cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think someone saw that a fan light needs GFCI protection over a shower, at least all the ones I have done require it, and they assumed all equipment over a shower needs it.

Yes, for fans or fan/lt combo's but I've yet to see a recessed shower light that requires GFCI protection.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, for fans or fan/lt combo's but I've yet to see a recessed shower light that requires GFCI protection.
I agree , I have never seen one either. I was just thinking that's how the inspector may have come about thinking lights needed GFCI protection.

I don't see where it was the poster job to prove to the inspector that his lights was not suitable for shower use without GFCI. If he/she turns you down then they need to show you where it is non compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see where it was the poster job to prove to the inspector that his lights was not suitable for shower use without GFCI. If he/she turns you down then they need to show you where it is non compliant.

Yup, I agree 100%. The inspector should be responsible for researching his own mistake.

stars13bars2

I knew that it wasn't a violation, but I couldn't get the inspector to give me the article. Later I called the chief inspector and he told me it was under wet location. Well sir " when you find it later this afternoon, give me a call and let me know what section you are referring to." Then a couple of days later the inspector called me and wanted the spec info just to save face.

quogueelectric

What are you guys preventing by gfci protecting a shower light? :confused:
Possible electrocution which is what the device is intended to do. I just take it off the load side of the gfci outlet and I charge for the switch and the can /shower trim. 20 ft of 12-2 instead of 14-2 is a small price to pay. If the shower light nuisance trips oh well. You are very vulnerable to electrocution in a shower. What if some nitwit uses 3"deck screws to install a grabbar or shower door and hits an energized conductor in a wall?? I ask this because it happened to me. Almost killed customer.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Possible electrocution which is what the device is intended to do. I just take it off the load side of the gfci outlet and I charge for the switch and the can /shower trim. 20 ft of 12-2 instead of 14-2 is a small price to pay. If the shower light nuisance trips oh well. You are very vulnerable to electrocution in a shower. What if some nitwit uses 3"deck screws to install a grabbar or shower door and hits an energized conductor in a wall?? I ask this because it happened to me. Almost killed customer.

You can't protect against everything. The nitwit probably didn't follow the installation instructions.

3" screw in a 2x4 wall plus ? sheetrock. Your screwed! :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What are you guys preventing by gfci protecting a shower light? :confused:

Possible electrocution which is what the device is intended to do.
Captain Obvious to the rescue! :D

I just take it off the load side of the gfci outlet and I charge for the switch and the can /shower trim. 20 ft of 12-2 instead of 14-2 is a small price to pay.
As Larry pointed out, you have to work to make that legal, and I would say it's still a crummy design. The blow dryer has a problem and you've knocked out the lights to the bathroom without cause.

If the shower light nuisance trips oh well.
That would be a great warranty conversation.

Customer: What the heck!?! Whenever I turn on my shower lights I hear the receptacle trip!!! What kind of hack electrician are you?!?

Contractor: Oh, well.

:D

You are very vulnerable to electrocution in a shower. What if some nitwit uses 3"deck screws to install a grabbar or shower door and hits an energized conductor in a wall?? I ask this because it happened to me. Almost killed customer.
What makes you think they'll hit the cable going to the shower can? 95% of the time that cable goes to the ceiling out of the switch, and never sees a wall ever again. You'd be better served to GFCI the surrounding rooms to avoid that eventuality, or accept the fact that we can't control everything. ;)

Edit to add: I would be more concerned about a shock hazard from continuous copper piping than a shower can. They are actually supposed to fiddle with the plumbing while showering. Fiddling with the can is just stupid.

electricmanscott

I'm not going to be worrying about this. :)

If somebody wants to gfi a shower light and it makes them feel better go right ahead. There's really no downside to doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.