Shower head plumbing in same stud space as panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbuc

Starbuc
Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a situation where the breaker panel in a residence is in the same stud space as the plumbing for a shower head (both facing out opposite sides of the wall). Is there any reason why this would be a code violation?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What happens when they need to replace the shower mixing valve? Usually those are removed from the back, with a panel right behind it and wires? chasing up to the bottom of the panel that sure doesn't sound very convenient.

Definitely not an ideal spot for a panel.

Jim W in Tampa

Very poor design but if it not over or under panel it is legal as for NEC. Might violate building code or plumbing code. I sure hope plumbing gets extra bond to that panel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrical Engineer
If I understand the situation correctly, you have a bathroom and the room with the panel on opposite sides of the same wall. If you removed the drywall on one side, and the shower enclosure on the other side, so that only the studs themselves were visible, it sounds like the plumbing pipe would be seen directly over the panel. Is that right? If so, it is a clear violation of 110.26(F). The space directly over a panel cannot have plumbing pipes, even if you can't see the space because it is covered by drywall.

Jim W in Tampa

If I understand the situation correctly, you have a bathroom and the room with the panel on opposite sides of the same wall. If you removed the drywall on one side, and the shower enclosure on the other side, so that only the studs themselves were visible, it sounds like the plumbing pipe would be seen directly over the panel. Is that right? If so, it is a clear violation of 110.26(F). The space directly over a panel cannot have plumbing pipes, even if you can't see the space because it is covered by drywall.

If it is a 6 inch wall the plumbing could actually be just behind the panel. NEC would allow this. I do hope it never leaks .

Status
Not open for further replies.