shower/steam room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a person enclosing a large shower area (glass with glass door) all tile with a bench. They are having a steam generator installed. The ceilings are vaulted and go up to a skylight. They want recessed lights in this ceiling.
There will be a bench that will have an over head at about 6ft. They want recessed lights over this sitting area.
My questions will a typical recessed can and a shower trim meet the area (now that it has steam)? Are shower trims allowed to be installed in other then on a flat or horizontal ceiling? If I install a recessed light in this shower / steam room in an overhead at 6 ft do they have to be low voltage or on a GFCI?
And no I do not like the lighting plan.

Thanks
Mike

steelersman

redwood1957 said:
I have a person enclosing a large shower area (glass with glass door) all tile with a bench. They are having a steam generator installed. The ceilings are vaulted and go up to a skylight. They want recessed lights in this ceiling.
There will be a bench that will have an over head at about 6ft. They want recessed lights over this sitting area.
My questions will a typical recessed can and a shower trim meet the area (now that it has steam)? Are shower trims allowed to be installed in other then on a flat or horizontal ceiling? If I install a recessed light in this shower / steam room in an overhead at 6 ft do they have to be low voltage or on a GFCI?

Thanks
Mike
shouldn't be a problem having shower trims on a sloped ceiling and they shouldn't need to be gfi protected either.

dnem

NEC isn't going to require GFCI
UL isn't going to require GFCI unless you place a fan motor over the shower [or tub].
"typical recessed can and a shower trim" is fine as long as its rated for damp app [410.10(D)]. . Because of the steamer, you should look for a wet app rating.

dnem

DanZ said:
depending on the slope of the ceiling, you might want to make sure the cans you're installing can be sloped. I know lithonia has some that have sloped trim.

That's a good point. . It isn't even a shower question. . The can might not be rated to be installed in any slope anywhere in the house.

lighting steam room

lighting steam room

redwood1957 said:

Thanks
Mike
Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.