Shunt trip for a cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked if a shunt trip breaker is required for a cooler under a kitchen hood? My reply was yes, any electrical device or appliance located under a hood with fire suppression is always protected by a shunt trip breaker. I could not find any code disputing my claim and my last stop is here!

RICK NAPIER

You can find it in IBC 904.11.2 "The actuation of the fire suppression system shall automatically shut down the fuel or electrical power supply to the cooking equipment. The fuel and electrical supply reset shall be manual." As you can see it is only rquired for the cooking appliances. The idea is to remove the sources of heat for recombustion.

iwire

Staff member
As you can see it is only required for the cooking appliances. The idea is to remove the sources of heat for recombustion.

I agree.

Take away heat and you can not have fire.

195px-Fire_triangle.svg.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I will have to do a little research, but it was my understanding that all "electrical" under a "wet chemical" supression system needed to be disconnected.

iwire

Staff member
I will have to do a little research, but it was my understanding that all "electrical" under a "wet chemical" suppression system needed to be disconnected.

I think that will turn out to be another code myth that some fire depts enforce.

No shunt trips are required for equipment under 'wet' water fire suppression systems. :smile:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My question is, why is a cooler under the hood with the cooking equipment? Not implying that there is no reason for it but, it doesn't seem like a very good design.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
My question is, why is a cooler under the hood with the cooking equipment? Not implying that there is no reason for it but, it doesn't seem like a very good design.

It's wedged between a deep fryer and grill ........ and they wonder why the compressors have short lifespans. :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's wedged between a deep fryer and grill ........ and they wonder why the compressors have short lifespans. :grin:

Hmmmmm, something to look into. ;):grin:

Roger

norcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger

When referring to a "cooler" is it a evaporative cooler or a A/C? Swamp coolers don't have compressors.

ultramegabob

Roger

I have two restaurants that I do service work in that have refridgerated drawer units under the grill, Im not sure what they keep in there, toppings for sandwiches maybe?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... any electrical device or appliance located under a hood with fire suppression is always protected by a shunt trip breaker.
In most of the retro-fits I do on suppression systems, I use RIBs or contactors instead of shunt-trip breakers. They cost less, and you don't have to run an extra cable back to the panel (if not already done.)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I think that will turn out to be another code myth that some fire depts enforce.

No shunt trips are required for equipment under 'wet' water fire suppression systems. :smile:

Bob,
I talked this morning with the Fire Marshall's office and the advise me that under the NFPA that they enforce there is a requirement that ALL electrical circuits under the hood be deenergized when the suppression systems activates. They did not provide me with the NFPA Code reference but were adamant that it is a requirement.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Bob,
I talked this morning with the Fire Marshall's office and the advise me that under the NFPA that they enforce there is a requirement that ALL electrical circuits under the hood be deenergized when the suppression systems activates. They did not provide me with the NFPA Code reference but were adamant that it is a requirement.

Waited too long to edit: Bob, I may need to borrow a napkin to wipe the egg from my face.:smile: I called back and asked for a reference. They first refereed me to NFPA 96 7.4.1 and read that section. To the Fire Marshall it said disconnect, to me it did not. Maybe I found the "old wife".
I am attempting to find my copy of NFPA17A to clarify. Perhaps someone else has a copy readily available. I am reminded AGAIN not to let my mouth overload ********, (also known as "don't challenge Bob unless you are properly prepared") :smile:

RICK NAPIER

You can find it in IBC 904.11.2 "The actuation of the fire suppression system shall automatically shut down the fuel or electrical power supply to the cooking equipment. The fuel and electrical supply reset shall be manual." As you can see it is only rquired for the cooking appliances. The idea is to remove the sources of heat for recombustion.

It is also covered in NFPA 17A for a wet systems article 4.7.3.1 " On activation of any cooking equipment fire-extinguishing system all sources of fuel and electric power that produces heat to all equipment protected by the system shall be shut down". You can read this at http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/list_of_codes_and_standards.asp

RICK NAPIER

The section in 2008 NFPA 96 is 10.4.1 and again states "that produces heat to all equipment protected by the system shall be shut down". The cooler does not produce heat to the protected equipment, ie. grease producing cooking equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.