Shunt trip for lights in the hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was wondering:
In a commercial kitchen are the Lights also required to be turned off in the event of the Ansul being set off.

Also I assume that the exaust fan needs to continue but make-up air is turned off.

nez

Every system I've done the lights have to turn off. Different jurisdictions have different requirements. Check with the local fire marshall for all the local requirements because they vary. Most systems I've seen the exaust fan turns on and the makeup air drops out. I remember one area where they wanted both fans off.

480sparky

every system i've done the lights have to turn off. Different jurisdictions have different requirements. Check with the local fire marshall for all the local requirements because they vary. Most systems i've seen the exaust fan turns on and the makeup air drops out. I remember one area where they wanted both fans off.

x2 . :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I will be willing to bet that no one can find a code requiring the lights to be shut down.

If by "code" you mean a standard such as NFPA 17A or NFPA 96, you're probably right. I'm sure you can find at least one local jurisdiction out of the roughly 3,000 in the U.S. that does require it.

iwire

Staff member
If by "code" you mean a standard such as NFPA 17A or NFPA 96, you're probably right. I'm sure you can find at least one local jurisdiction out of the roughly 3,000 in the U.S. that does require it.

I bet tons of jurisdictions ask for it, I bet damn few have it in writing.

btharmy

I was called back by the g.c. to wire some hood lights to turn off with the other equipment in order to pass inspection. I don't mind. I got paid for my time. I was always under the impression just the cooking equipment itself was to turn off, as in, anything that might perpetuate the fire. Fire marshal was just looking after the safety of his men and didn't want any lights to present a shock hazard to anyone responding to the fire. Especially if they are damaged in the process.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been killing the lights in the fire-suppression systems I've done, except when told it wasn't necessary.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey thanks folks.
Sorry I haven't repleid earlier I've been having internet issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.