SHUNT TRIP regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one of our project a shunt trip has been installed which is interlocked with the fire alarm panel. My question is when fire system will activate then the whole system will shut down ensuring safety, however at the same time the extract fans, BMS and other life saving devices operating on electrical system will also seize to work- I am afraid to cancel the shunt trip as this will bring the whole system becoming unsafe!!
Could someone out there guide me on this aspect.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This isn't really an electrical problem, this is a fire safety issue. Someone has made a decision, right or wrong, on the correct response to a fire situation that dictates a complete shut down. You may be right to question it as a back-up to that decision making process, but the answer needs to come from whomever made that decision, not from uninvolved parties.

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like the life saving devices need to be moved from the feed supplied by the shunt trip.

Could even be a violation of material handling or fire/life safety codes.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
On one of our project a shunt trip has been installed which is interlocked with the fire alarm panel. My question is when fire system will activate then the whole system will shut down ensuring safety, however at the same time the extract fans, BMS and other life saving devices operating on electrical system will also seize to work- I am afraid to cancel the shunt trip as this will bring the whole system becoming unsafe!!
Could someone out there guide me on this aspect.

If you are familiar with which code(s) governed the design and acceptance of this aspect of your project, please share them with us.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I just had a install that may require connection to the fire alarm system for EPO, I have installed the Firemens key switch to control the shunt trips (five mains plus a Kirk key breaker for one of the critical mains) The switch that the fire marshal spec'd has only one contact, and cannot be modified to add more, so I had to use relays to seperate the factory installed contol system that also has two phase loss monitors. (Did not want a phase loss to kill the lighting too) I have not heard back from the fire marshal if that is the route he wants to go. Must be a new thing their doing now, as I never had to do it or heard of it before.

templdl

A capacitive shunt trip device would be an excellent appication for this.
This device is able to store enough energy to trip a shunt trip designed for such an application after a power loss when initiated by a contact closure. The CTD is not able to store indefinitely after the power is lost which may be limited to a couple of days at best.. In other words such a device is not capable of storing enough energy of an extended period of time to trip a shunt trip.
Here is and example:
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...://www.byramlabs.com/pdf/timemark/102-410.pdf

I Believe this should link you to a PDF file

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
This device is able to store enough energy to trip a shunt trip designed for such an application after a power loss when initiated by a contact closure. The CTD is not able to store indefinitely after the power is lost which may be limited to a couple of days at best.. In other words such a device is not capable of storing enough energy of an extended period of time to trip a shunt trip.
Here is and example:
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...://www.byramlabs.com/pdf/timemark/102-410.pdf

The shunt trip job I just completed in my previous post had two of those, nice of the manufacture to post a warning (NOT):eek: (Had all A/C power killed and verified dead), when starting to make a termination caused an arc (154 volts DC), SINCE the manufacture did not properly place a warning label, I did.

templdl

Hillbilly1,
This is where your time on the job over the years and the experience that has been gained is priceless allowing you to recognize this shortcoming and take the necessary precautions while others may not have even the slightest clue. Awesome

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Here is and example:

Please not that the OP's dilemma has nothing to do with whether or not the shunt will operate during a blackout. It is, rather, that apparently some nitwit EE placed all the life safety systems on the panel with the shunt, or some other nitwit decided to add the shunt ex post facto.:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.